Health & Wellness Cluster
Are you interested in a health profession?
There are numerous opportunities to work in healthcare; your role can focus more on clinical aspects, or research, or advocacy / social work, or administration. Some examples of careers in healthcare follow below. For a more detailed analysis of many of these careers and more in-depth resources, please visit the Dimensions Program for Health Professions page.
- Dentist / Orthodontist
- Athletic Trainer
- Physical Therapist
- Nurse Practitioner
- Hospital Administrator
- Genetic Counselor
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Genetic Counselor
- Health Promotion Officer
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB)
- Kinesiology: Exercise Science concentration
- Psychology: Behavioral Neuroscience concentration
The following are just a few courses that you might consider while exploring this career cluster. Please note that course numbers and titles are subject to change. Consult with your faculty advisor and the Course Catalog for current course information and recommendations.
- Kinesiology: KIN 111, 207 (cross-listed as BIO 207), 237, 310
- Biology: BIO 141, 142, 205, 211
- Chemistry: CHE 121, 122, 225
- Mathematics: MAT 121, STA 201
- Psychology: PSY 161, 282
- Sociology: SOC 101, 351
General information about off-campus study, travel abroad, passport applications, and affiliated and non-affiliated study abroad programs are available from the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies. Students may participate in multiple off-campus study opportunities during their career at Cornell. In order to be eligible to participate in any off-campus study at Cornell students must:
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (unless a higher grade point average is specified)
- be in good disciplinary standing with the College
- be in good financial standing with the College
- American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- National Network of Public Health Institutes
- Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA)
- American College of Nurse Midwives
- American Optometric Association (AOA)
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- American Academy of Forensic Science
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Recent internship and research sites (brief sample - ask for more opportunities):
- Mayo Clinic - Center for Sleep Medicine (Rochester, MN)
- Harvard University - Department of Immunology (Boston, MA)
- Children's Hospital Colorado - Division of Orthopedics (Denver, CO)
- Catalysis (Appleton, WI)
- Iowa Humane Alliance (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- University of Colorado - Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension (Denver, CO)
- Palmer Research Institute (Davenport, IA)
Job search resources:
- Explore Health Careers
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics (search for your healthcare field of interest on the main site)
- HOSA (look under the Resources tab)
Fellowship and scholarship options:
- Operation Walk
- Cornell Fellows
- Berry Career Institute (BCI) Experiential Learning
- Additional Off-Campus Studies scholarships
Use the “See Alumni” button on the Cornell College page on LinkedIn to view alumni by major, geographic location, industry, etc.
List your alumni careers here.
Should I earn a postgraduate degree?
This depends on your career goals and what you'd like to practice:
Provide the details for this accordion here.
Additional exploration resources
Explore Health Careers - a useful resource for learning the basics about any healthcare field.
US Bureau of Labor Statistics - provides information on nature of job, salary, long-term outlook, etc.