Residence Life can help facilitate most questions/issues with keys. Contact us if you have any specific questions that are not addressed here.

Key policy

  • Students, faculty, and staff should refer to the Cornell College key policy regarding obtaining and returning keys as well as paying for missing keys.

Keys for residence hall rooms (for students)

  • You will receive your residence hall room key (and, if applicable, key to your suite, apartment or building) from a residence life staff member upon arriving on or after your official check-in date.

Keys for academic and administrative buildings (for faculty, staff and students)

  • If you need a key to an academic building, please complete a Key Request Form (PDF). Please gather any required signature(s) and bring the form to Residence Life. Key requests are processed each business day at noon. Any key request form received after noon will be processed the next business day.

Lock-outs (for students)

  • If you are locked out of your room, you should first try to contact your roommate. If your roommate is not available, then you can call an RA or Campus Safety to let you in (know that you will be charged for this service). All money collected for lock-outs is used to enhance hall programming initiatives.

Lock-outs (for faculty and staff)

  • An employee who is locked out of their office or other space should contact Campus Safety (319-895-4299) for assistance. Residence Life will not issue a second key for someone who is locked out.

Lost keys

  • If you lose a College-provided key, you should report that immediately to Residence Life. If you lose your room or office key, we must change the lock. You should replace your ID card if that has also been lost.