Summer Housing on Campus
During summer 2018 the College will offer a limited number of on-campus housing spaces in Tarr Hall. Tarr features a large main floor lounge with two group study areas and the Williams Stage. Other amenities include air-conditioning, wi-fi, laundry, and an updated kitchen and bathroom spaces. Though we anticipate being able to house all students who are interested in living on campus for the summer, priority will be given in the following order:
- Current Cornell students who are working for the College and current Cornell students who are doing research with a Cornell faculty member
- Current Cornell students who are doing internships not through the College
- Other current Cornell students
- Spring 2018 Cornell graduates who are doing research with a Cornell faculty member
Rates and options in length of summer housing
Students can choose between two lengths of summer stay:
- A full summer (15 weeks) agreement at $1005 per person in a double room: Students here all summer will stay in their current housing assignment through the afternoon of Friday, May 11 and then will transition into their summer housing assignment; students are expected to be out of their academic year housing assignment by 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 13 (learn more about residence hall closing). Full summer students will move to their 2018-2019 academic year room on or around Friday, August 3. Residents who do not have a fall on-campus assignment will need to vacate summer housing at that time. The College reserves the right to amend these dates should the need arise.
- A partial summer (8 week) agreement at $536 per person in a double room: This option is intended for students participating in summer research. Students here for 8 weeks are expected to be out of their current academic year housing assignment by 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 10 (learn more about residence hall closing). Additional summer move-in and check out dates will be posted when finalized.
*Students here for 8 weeks should expect that an earlier check-in date and/or a later check-out date is not available. If extenuating circumstances exist that the student believes would warrant an exception, then the student should discuss that with the Office of Residence Life prior to applying for summer housing.
Students who do not move out within the appropriate timeframe will be assessed a $25.00 fine for failing to follow checkout procedures and an additional $25.00 fine for each hour past the deadline.
Students will need to complete a summer housing application (PDF). Applications will be accepted from Monday, April 2 through Friday, April 6 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. in the Residence Life Office (first floor, Old Sem). Applications received by this deadline will receive priority in summer housing. After that date, any student requesting summer housing will be housed only if there is space available. Students can preference a roommate during the application process (note that no single occupancy rooms are available, and so all summer residents will have a roommate). Roommates must be on the same length of stay (that is, a student here the entire summer can only room with another student here all summer; a student here for 10 weeks can only room with another student here for 10 weeks). Students in summer housing are eligible for all-gender housing (space permitting) and forms must be submitted with the summer housing application (learn more about all-gender housing).
Students will be expected to provide payment for summer housing in full by Friday, May 4 unless they complete a Financial Agreement through Student Accounts to establish a payment plan by that date. Students can download the Financial Agreement for 2017 Summer Housing (PDF); copies are also available in Old Sem in Residence Life and/or Business Services.
Summer residents who elect to stay the entire summer and are approved to return early in the fall and/or whose early arrival housing costs will be covered by a department or organization will receive a partial room refund at the conclusion of the summer. Students with questions about that refund should contact our office.
Students with additional questions about summer billing should contact the Student Accounts office.
The last meal for students on the meal plan is breakfast on Thursday, May 10. Meal plans for returning students begin in the fall with the lunch service on Saturday, August 25. The Hilltop Café will remain open through graduation weekend to accommodate graduating seniors and then close for the summer. It will reopen in mid-August to accommodate early arrivals. Summer residents' meal plans do not include graduation weekend or early arrival meals; however summer residents may purchase a meal out of pocket at the door whenever the dining hall is open.
If they haven't already done so, summer residents should contact the Mail & Service Center to ensure that their mail continues to be delivered to their campus box.
R.A.M. (Rapid Alert Messaging) emergency system
Cornell College has established the R.A.M. (Rapid Alert Messaging) Emergency System to assist in campus wide notification in events of safety concern. Refer to the R.A.M. Emergency System website for more information and to register. All students are encouraged to register for this service. Any student who is already registered for this service will continue to receive alerts over the summer.
All residence life and College policies remain in effect for students in summer housing. Refer to the Policies for Residential Students for a complete listing of those expectations.
Students who find themselves locked out of their room should first try to contact their roommate. If their roommate is not available, then they can call an RA or Campus Safety to let them in (but will be charged for this service). All money collected for lock-outs is used to enhance hall programming initiatives.
All students with a vehicle staying on campus over the summer must have their vehicle registered with Campus Safety. Visit Campus Safety's website to learn more about summer parking.
The fitness center in the Thomas Commons will be available over the summer. Refer to the Information Desk website for hours.