Residence Life strives to create safe and welcoming communities where all students are respected and included. We recognize that traditional housing options do not meet all students' needs, in particular regarding a student's gender identity or gender expression. To this end, Residence Life offers the following housing options for our students:
- Single-Gender: A floor designated for students of the same gender, where rooms are shared by roommates of the same gender.
- Mixed-Gender: A floor designated for students of any gender, where rooms are shared by roommates of the same gender.
- All-Gender: A floor designated for students of any gender, where rooms are shared by roommates of any gender.
Incoming students are able to self-identify their gender during the admission process. Residence Life uses that information along with each student's housing preference form to place students on single-gender or mixed-gender floors. Mixed-gender floors are located in the following buildings:
- Dows Hall (3rd floor only)
- Pfeiffer Hall (Lower Level and 3rd floors only)
- Tarr Hall (3rd floor only)
Upperclass students are able to self-identify their gender with the Registrar's Office. To help accurately predict housing needs upperclass students interested in living in an all-gender housing environment should complete the All-Gender Housing Request Form (PDF).
Students are not guaranteed an all-gender room in a particular building. Students must follow all lottery procedures for each building and must meet all eligibility requirements as detailed on each lottery page. For students interested in living in an all-gender room in the suites, apartments or houses, Residence Life needs the above form on file before the start of the appropriate lottery. Refer to our important dates for specific deadlines. For students interested in living in an all-gender room in the traditional residence halls, Residence Life needs the above form on file before the general room draw process begins. For the 2018-2019 academic year, all-gender housing forms for general room draw are due to the Residence Life Office by Thursday, March 28, 2019.
Upperclass students may select an all-gender room in one of the following buildings:
- 10th Avenue Apartments (not open during 2019-2020 academic year)
- Armstrong House
- Cottage House
- Merner Hall (2nd, 3rd and 4th floors only)
- Olin Hall (1st and 3rd floors only)
- Pfeiffer Hall (1st (Transfers only) and 2nd floor only)
- Russell Hall
- Smith Hall
- Wilch Apartments
- Floor(s) designated during summer housing (only when available and could vary from summer to summer)
Housing options in campus-owned residence halls, houses and apartments are not intended for romantic couples. Students are not required to disclose their reason for requesting a specific roommate, however Residence Life does not recommend that romantic partners, regardless of gender identity, choose to live together.