10 Things to Know
1. Virus protection is required for all PC and Mac computers. It is required that each student has a supported anti-virus program installed and updated when they arrive on campus. Software to verify that your anti-virus program is installed and up to date will be provided when connecting to the Cornell network. Computers that do not have anti-virus installed will be blocked from using the Cornell network. For a complete list of supported anti-virus programs, visit our System Requirements page.
2. Operating Systems should be updated. In addition to having current virus protection, it is important that computers are kept updated with security patches provided by the manufacturer.
3. Cellular coverage on campus can be sporadic. Some cellular phone providers do not provide an adequate signal to Cornell's campus. We have found that the providers with the best coverage are Verizon, US Cellular, and TMobile.
4. All of Cornell’s residence hall rooms are connected to our over air high definition antenna. By plugging in your television to the coaxial cable port on the wall, you will be able to receive local ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox stations. To connect, all you need is a cable-ready TV and a standard coax cable. Once connected, don’t forget to have your TV automatically scan for available channels. If you have questions about setup, please email Information Technology or call 4357.
5. All students are provided with an email address. You will receive your login information and email address in late May. Your email address is derived from your first initial and last name, followed by your anticipated graduation year.
6. Email access is through Google's G Suite. Gmail will provide unlimited email and Google Drive storage
7. All residence hall rooms have network access. Cornell is a wireless campus. All residence hall rooms have wireless access, and many have the ability for Ethernet access as well.
8. Should I bring a Mac or a PC? Cornell has a number of students who find success using both Mac and PC while on campus. We recommend that students bring whatever computer platform they are most comfortable using.
9. Review the Technology Policies for Cornell. These address Cornell's Acceptable Use Policy
10. A subscription to Microsoft Office 365 is available for free to all students. Visit this page to learn more.