As a veteran or current military member and Cornell student, the following policies apply to you and your degree attainment.

Educational advising

The Cornell College course catalog details the requirements for all majors, general education requirements, and degree requirements and is available to all students.

You are assigned an academic advisor and have the freedom to change that advisor. This advisor will meet with you to discuss your educational plan each term. You are also encouraged to use the Student Success Center for additional academic support and advising as well as disability services.

Military leave

If you are called to active duty, or if you have a dependent child and your spouse is called to active duty during a term, you have the following options:

  1. Withdraw from the current block course and receive a full refund of tuition and fees. If you received federal financial aid, the Financial Aid Office will calculate the amount of earned and unearned federal aid according to the standard federal Return of Title IV Funds as published in the Financial Aid Handbook.
  2. Make arrangements with an individual faculty member for a final course grade, or for an incomplete grade that shall be completed upon release from active duty. If such arrangements are made, your registration will remain intact and tuition and fees will be assessed in full.

Readmission from active service

Cornell College complies with Readmission Requirements for Service Members as outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) Section 487.  The HEOA provides that prompt readmission of a previously enrolled or admitted student may not be denied to a service member of the uniformed services for reasons relating to that service. This applies to active duty in the Armed Forces; whether voluntary or involuntary, including service under federal authority as a member of the National Guard or Reserve, for a period of more than 30 days.

As a qualifying service member, you will be readmitted:

  • To the same program, unless the service member requests or agrees to admission to another program;
  • At the same enrollment status (for example, full-time), unless you request or agree to a different enrollment status;
  • With the same number of course credits completed, unless you are admitted to a different program and the credits are not transferable;
  • With same academic standing (for example, satisfactory academic progress status);
  • For the first academic year, with the same tuition and fee charges as when you left, unless military benefits will pay the increase, but never more than the college is charging other students.

Postsecondary education complaint system

The Department of Defense launched the Postsecondary Education Complaint System which provides a centralized online reporting system for service members and their families to use in reporting problems with education institutions. Agency partners including the Department of Veterans Affairs and Education are also launching online feedback tools providing a centralized system for veterans, service members, and eligible family members to file student complaints.

Veterans and their families who run into problems getting access to education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the DoD Military Tuition Assistance Program can submit a complaint. The agencies will work with the school on the veteran's behalf to find a resolution.  Whether the problem is related to funding, treatment, or practices, the centralized system is designed for veterans and their beneficiaries to report bad experiences.

Section 103 Compliance Policy

Cornell College abides by Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.  Our educational policy ensures that no penalty will be imposed including 1) the assessment of late fees; 2) the denial of access to classes; 3) libraries or other institutional facilities and/or 4) the requirements that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to a delayed disbursement of payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  

Local resources for veterans and active military members education resources

Cornell College resources

Financial Planning and Assistance Office
Pam Perry, Director of Financial Planning and Assistance

  • VA certifying official
  • Financial aid application process, FAFSA filing, Yellow Ribbon Program, GI Bill, and other financial assistance programs available to veterans

Student Accounts Office
Amy Runge, Student Accounts Manager

  • Financial fees and payments
  • Releases financial holds for nonpayment of bills

Office of the Registrar
Megan Hicks, Registrar

Help with course registration and answers questions about graduation requirements

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center offers short-term, confidential individual and couples counseling for Cornell students.

Student Success Center

The Student Success Center is a resource for all students. This is a place to go to discuss academic concerns, study plans, and finding your place at Cornell.

Disability Services and Resources

Disability Services is the designated office at Cornell College that maintains disability-related documents, certifies eligibility for services, and determines reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.