Section 4.4: Elevator Malfunction
In the event of an elevator malfunction please contact Campus Safety immediately. Staff should take the stairs and place "out of order" signs next to the call-button panel on each floor the elevator has access to.
Should an elevator malfunction while someone is inside, please take the following steps:
- Communicate that they should not attempt to exit the elevator without the assistance of Campus Safety, Facilities or an emergency responder.
- Under no circumstances should they try to pry open the doors as they may be in-between floors and not at a proper exit location.
- Encourage them to remain calm.
- Have the person utilize the emergency communication device within the elevator.
- Ask the person to move to the back, center portion of the elevator and face the door until help arrives.