Cornell College Music Scholarships and Awards
If you have a strong interest in instrumental or vocal music, you should apply for a Cornell College Music Scholarship or our stackable Cornell College Music Award.
Cornell College Music Scholarship eligibility requirements
Scholarships and awards are given based on talent and musical ability as demonstrated by your audition. Successful auditions result in a $1,000 to $5,000 award, which is added to your academic merit scholarship. Each year a few larger scholarships of up to full tuition may be awarded to outstanding students. These larger scholarships are awarded in place of the academic merit scholarship.
|Steps for eligibility||Deadline|
Complete your fine arts scholarship application.
|2021 Application Closed|
|Complete your audition.|
|Complete your admissions application and be admitted to Cornell College.|
- Schedule a live audition completed over Zoom video conferencing with a faculty member.
- Audition at our Fine Arts and Audition Day March 26, 2021.
- Submit a video link of your audition with your fine arts application.
Scheduling an on-campus or Zoom audition
Make sure to schedule an audition at least two weeks in advance. We'll do our best to coordinate with the professors who will manage your audition. Contact Evelyn Rush, Fine Arts Recruiter, for any scheduling help or questions.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not currently scheduling individual on campus auditions.
Send us a link on your fine arts application to a YouTube or website video by the April 15, 2021 deadline.
Music audition guidelines
- Perform two pieces, or excerpts of longer pieces, of contrasting styles of playing that demonstrate your musical ability. For example, instrumentalists may choose to play an etude and a portion of a solo piece or two sections of a longer solo piece; pianists may play two works or two contrasting sections of a longer work; vocalists should prepare two songs of differing styles such as two art songs or one art song and a musical theatre selection. Student should not audition with any of the following: individual parts from choral, band, or orchestra music; or acapella vocal music.
- Please keep auditions to no more than 7 minutes of music.
- Music that is written for voice/instrument and piano should be performed with accompaniment if at all possible. For live auditions on campus, we can provide an accompanist if the piano accompaniment is provided two weeks in advance.
- Live auditions may include a request for you to play scales, complete some basic sight-reading, or sing vocalizes (singers only).
Cornell College Music Scholarship and Award renewal
As long as you maintain satisfactory academic progress and fulfill the expectations outlined your scholarship or award is renewable for up to four years.
|Participate in at least one major ensemble on your principal instrument.|
|If you are awarded $3,000 or more, you must enroll in music lessons on your principal instrument. You'll be awarded music lessons at a value of $350 per semester in addition to your scholarship.|
|Enroll in MUS 701 Music Performance Seminar.|
What do you do next? If you haven't completed your Fine Arts Scholarship Application yet, get started today! If you would like to set up a campus visit with fine arts faculty or have any additional questions, contact Evelyn Rush, Visual and Performing Arts Recruiter.