RA Application Process
Thank you for your interest joining our student staff! Resident Assistants and the Apartment & House Manager are the premier leadership and employment opportunity on-campus that allows you to work where you live, utilize flexible hours, take advantage of Cornell’s behind-the-scenes opportunities, and meet more people than ever. Complete all the items 1-6 in order to be eligible for employment.
- Review the Resident Assistant job description, Apartment and House Manager job description and the list of pertinent dates.
- Attend one Information Session (see below).
- Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, January 22, 2018 at 8:00am. Your cover letter should address why you are interested, what you can bring to the position, and mention our living learning communities if you interested in them.
- Complete GPA check and Cornell College conduct authorization form by Monday, January 22, 2018 at 8:00am.
- Schedule your individual interview online by Friday, January 26, 2018 and attend it.
- Complete your Values In Action personality survey prior to your scheduled individual interview.
- Schedule a Group Process option online by Friday, January 26, 2018 and attend it.
- Review your cover letter and resume with the staff at the Berry Career Institute.
- Discuss any financial impact the job may have with the staff in Financial Aid.
Mandatory Information Session Options
All individuals interested in the RA or AHM positions must attend one of the following information sessions to ensure you understand the nature of the job and to answer any questions you may have. Attendance is taken. Sessions are offered at the following times:
Tuesday, December 12, 2017 from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Wednesday, December 13, 2017 from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Wednesday, January 17, 2018 from 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Friday, January 19, 2018 from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Scheduled Individual Interviews
We will contact you via email to schedule an interview with our team and you must select an individual interview time slot online by the above deadline. Individual interview times are scheduled within 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. between Monday, February 5 and Friday, February 16, 2018. Candidates will receive information about completing a Values In Action personality survey via email prior to their interview time. Bring a printed copy of your Values In Action personality survey for the interviewers. This is a professional interview so please prepare and dress accordingly.
Mandatory Group Process Options
All applicants for the RA and AHM positions must attend one group process. We will contact you via email to schedule a group process with other candidates and our team and you must select a Group Process option time slot online by the above deadline. To have balanced groups, we may ask some candidates to switch dates. This is a casual interview so please dress comfortably. Processes are offered at the following times:
Group 1: Thursday, February 8, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Group 2: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in Hedges in the Thomas Commons
Applicants Notified of Decision
All eligible applicants will be notified whether hired, wait listed, or removed from the applicant pool on Friday, February 23, 2018 between 12:00pm (noon) and 4:30pm.
Applicants Must Accept Offer
Applicants who receive an offer must notify the office of their acceptance by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
Optional résumé and cover letter help
We encourage you to visit the Berry Career Institute's website for help in creating your résumé or help in writing your cover letter. We also encourage you to visit the Writing Studio for help in refining your cover letter.
Optional interview skills help
We encourage you to visit the Berry Career Institute's website for help in preparing for your individual interview.
Optional review of financial assistance
The resident assistant position can impact a student's financial assistance. The impact, if any, of this position depends on several factors. Students interested in the RA and AHM positions are encouraged to contact the Financial Assistance staff to discuss their specific situation. It is important to note that the Financial Assistance staff can only offer projections about likely impact, if any, on the student's financial assistance but cannot provide definitive information until the student has reapplied for financial aid. As such, students interested in the RA and AHM positions are encouraged to reapply for financial aid as soon as possible. Need to know how the process to reapply for financial aid works?