What is an education record?
Records may be handwritten, print, computer, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche, or email items that
- contain information directly related to a student; and,
- are maintained by the institution or an entity operating on its behalf as part of the educational process.
Education records do not include:
- records/notes in sole possession of the maker not accessible or revealed to any other person (except a temporary substitute).
- medical records.
- employment records when employment is not contingent upon being a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual's employment;
- campus police records.
- information about a person obtained when the person was no longer a student (e.g., alumni records) and does not relate to the person as a student.
- aggregate (statistical) data that contains no personally identifiable information about any student.
* Adapted with permission from the University of North Texas FERPA Training.