Application deadline

Students who wish to use their need-based funding toward an affiliated program or an exchange program must submit a petition to the Off-Campus Studies office. This petition is due the first Monday in December at 4:30 pm. It includes a recommendation letter from a professor and a personal statement, so please plan accordingly.

Find a program

If there is not a Cornell course to suit your needs or if you are looking for a longer off-campus experience, the following third-party providers are wonderful places to begin your search. Cornell recognizes that these programs are reputable and educational. As long as you receive a "C" or higher in your course work abroad, these credits will transfer seamlessly.

Exchange programs

Cornell College has established exchange agreements with the following institutions for summer, short-term, semester, or year-long exchange programs. 

Exchange Programs to Japan 

  1. Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College (Tokyo) - Every other year, 4-5 female Cornell students become exchange students in Tokyo, Japan, participating in activities in English for 9-10 days in the fall. (Click on this link to learn more.) Application deadline was April 1, 2016 for the November 2016 exchange program to Aoyama Gakuin.
  2. Kyoto Seika University (Kyoto) - (A humanities exchange application deadline is twice a year; apply early to be considered for a JASSO scholarship.) A Humanities Exchange agreement with Kyoto Seika University allows Cornell students to study for a semester or a year in Japanese. A non-credit bearing summer program in English began in 2016 for Cornell students and graduates.

Exchange Programs to South Korea 

  1. Ewha Womans University (Seoul) - Summer Program; Semester or Year-Long Program - available for both male and female Cornell students.
  2. Sookmyung Women's University (Seoul) - Summer Program; Semester or Year-Long Program - available for both male and female Cornell students.

Both Ewha and Sookmyung offer summer school opportunities and semester or year-long options to study in Korea. Courses are offered in English in a variety of subjects. For the semester or year-long programs, Cornell-approved students pay Cornell tuition as usual and are responsible for airfare, visa, and room and board. For the summer programs, Cornell students do not pay tuition for either program, but are responsible for airfare, passport expenses, and room and board. 

Exchange Programs to Northern Ireland  

  1. Exchange Program in Northern Ireland (applications are submitted to International & Off-Campus Studies at Cornell in January in order to meet the program's February deadline)

Students may apply to study for a semester or full year at a university in Northern Ireland. Students must have a 3.2 GPA and have declared a major to apply.  Cornell will review the applications and then may nominate up to three students, who submit additional application materials to be reviewed by participating universities in Northern Ireland.

Applying to Exchange Programs

To apply for any exchange program, a student must fill out a petition and submit it by the appropriate deadline (usually the 1st Monday in December or 90 days before you travel). Tuition to participate in a semester or year-long exchange program is similar to your Cornell tuition, if you have submitted a petition on time and the petition is approved. For more information on these programs, contact the Coordinator (x4385) in the Office of International & Off-Campus Studies.

Foreign Language Abroad Program (FLAP)

The Department of Classical and Modern Languages offers qualified students the opportunity to participate in certain programs operated by other institutions in countries where the native language is French, German, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish.  The majority of the courses in approved FLAP programs must be taught in the foreign language.  Prerequisites:  a grade point average of 3.0 or higher at the end of the term preceding the start of the program.  Programs range from one semester to one year.

For additional information, please contact faculty in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages.