We are excited about the many ways you can get involved in Spiritual Life at Cornell College. The sampler of program offerings below attests to the breadth and depth of what can be found here.
Cornell students, faculty, and staff represent numerous religious traditions, diverse traditions within Christianity, non-traditional spirituality, and secular perspectives. As a United Methodist affiliated college, Cornell values this diversity as part of the educational experience and strives to build an authentic caring community, mutual appreciation, and respect as we live together amid our religious, cultural, political and other differences. This is one of the many ways we prepare lives for global citizenship, servant leadership, and reconciling virtue in an interdependent, diverse world.
As both a Christian and inter-faith chaplain, Catherine provides caring presence, spiritual guide work, and pastoral care (the 'care of souls') to students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds. This care is offered amid life's unfolding, joys, questioning, and storms; amid fear and wonder; amid the search for purpose, courage, love, healing, connectedness to others and the world, and signs that this universe and our lives (no matter how messy or confusing) are crammed full of meaning and significant worth.
The Chaplain & Spiritual Life Office as well as various student organizations offer numerous opportunities for spiritual growth and expression. Check out the sampler below and join us!
A sampler of Chaplain & Spiritual Life Offerings:
Inter-Spiritual Growth Experiences & Events
Christian Spirituality: Spiritual Life's SOULFeast Worship, Bible Study, & Retreats
Meditation, Contemplative Prayer, Energy Work, & other Mind-Body-Spirit Practices
Spiritual Life Interfaith and Christian student leadership positions as well as general involvement
- Student Senate recognized faith orgs run by students such as Jewish Student Union, Deep Water, and FCA. For Catholic Mass and other corporate worship see Off Campus Worship link.
A Spiritual Life calendar link for these and other events is in the side bar of this webpage, or you can contact the chaplain at email@example.com. Also see
Inter-Spiritual Growth Experiences & Events:
- MEET ME AT THE PEACE POLE - 5 minutes every Tuesday @ 8:45 a.m. beside Allee Chapel. Amid political and other differences we gather to pass the peace, to lift up places in the world in need of our healing, compassionate intention and solidarity, and to name where in the past week we’ve glimpsed life’s goodness and beauty.
- SUSTAINED DIALOGUE
- JUSTICE FOR OUR NEIGHBORS through Lovely Lane UMC in Cedar Rapids
- 9/11 Inter-Spiritual Observance for NATIONAL & GLOBAL HEALING, and kick off of BE THE PEACE 50 Day/5 minutes a day Compassion Meditation Challenge for Personal and Social Healing 12:30 p.m. @ Peace Pole.
- BE THE PEACE: U.N. International Day of Peace. Sept. 21 @ 11:30 Ped Mall
- UMC Bishop Trimble Opening Convo on Diversity & Inclusion — Sept. 22
- Walk the LABYRINTH for Healing & Insight Sept 27
- ROSH HASHANAHרֹאשׁ הַשָּׁנָה Jewish New Year event with tischlich on Chaplain’s acreage with JSO Oct 2.
- CROP WALK for Hunger Relief Oct. 2
- NAVRATI—Hindu Festival Dance t.b.a. Oct 1-10
- HELLO FROM THE OTHER SIDE – Oct. 19th, 11:30
- RWANDA GENOCIDE speaker— Nov. 15 11:10
- POST-ELECTION DAY COMPASSION: Inter-Spiritual Wisdom from Buddhist Perspective on Healing Fear, Frustration, & Hate. Nov. 16—11:30
- MLK CANDLELIGHT VIGIL, Monday Jan. 16 @ 6:30. Begins in Thomas Commons
- FOOD, FAITH, & CLIMATE CONTROL: CONNECTING THE DOTS Nov. 6th
- Also see link below for meditation programs and weekly Meditation, Mindfulness, & Mind-Body-Spirit Practices.
- SOULfeast WORSHIP & COMMUNION (Ecumenical) 2nd Wed. of block @ 11:30 p.m. - noonish in Allee Chapel. Eat. Pray. Love: Gathering as SOULfriends around Christ’s table for spiritual nourishment of Divine tenderness, healing wisdom, grace, & peace through scripture, prayer, bread & wine, open minds & hearts. Everyone welcome.
- SOULfeast BIBLE STUDY & TEA 1st Wed. of each block @ 11:30 - noonish in Chaplain’s Office Gathering as SOULfriends to feast on love and the Word. Chaplain’s Office is on 3rd floor Old Sem.
- BLOCK BREAK BENEDICTINE MONASTIC RETREAT @ New Melleray Abbey (5th Block break).
- PRAYER AS A WAY OF BEING - Contemplative Prayer/Interior Prayer of the Heart and related practices at Friday 11:15 Meditation, Mindfulness, & Mind-Body-Spirit Practices (Allee Chapel).
DISCERNING A CALL TO ORDAINED MINISTRY & SEMINARY/DIV. SCHOOL - Oct. 3rd, Chaplain's Office. Led by Vanderbilt Dean of Admissions & Vocation
Meditation, Contemplative Prayer, Energy Work, & Other Mind-Body-Spirit Practices:
- MEDITATION, MINDFULNESS, & MIND-BODY-SPIRIT PRACTICIES: Fridays @ 11:15 a.m. in Allee Chapel (not Block Breaks).
Relieve stress while boosting emotional stability, inner calm, self-compassion, and ability to spread feelings of peace to those around you. Includes seated and gentle movement based practices as well as breath work, energy medicine, and spiritual wisdom from the healing arts and Eastern and Western contemplative traditions. Led by Chaplain.
MORNING QIGONG & COMPASSION MEDITATION for PERSONAL & SOCIAL HEALING Tuesdays @ 8:10 a.m. in Allee Chapel.
Jump start your day, release stress, & improve mood, energy, creativity & wellbeing. Simple Spring Forest Qigong & a brief Compassion Meditation or Interior Prayer of the practice. Optional: Stay for sending healing, compassionate intention into community & world @ 8:45 for 5 minutes of Meet Me At The Peace Pole. Led by Chaplain.
- BE THE PEACE: 50 Day/5 Minutes a Day Compassion Meditation Challenge for Personal, Social, Nat'l, & Global Healing—Launches at the 9/11 Observance but start any time. Practice instruction available 1:1 and at the Tuesday and Friday offerings in Allee (see above).
- CONSCIOUSLY LIVING AS INSTRUTMENTS OF HEALING PEACE and DEEP ABIDING meditation programs available in alternating years.
Spiritual Life student leadership or general involvement:
SOULfriends is an ecumenical gathering of Christians from Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Orthodox backgrounds along with seeks who gather with the chaplain for devotional and various compassion based opportunities. With open minds and hearts we come together for SOULfeast Christian worship, Bible Study & Tea, peace vigils, social justice, service. diversity, and unity events like Meet Me at The Peace Pole. SOULfriends often partner with the Interfaith Understanding & Exploration arm of Spiritual Life as well as Intercultural Life, Civic Engagement, the Religion Department, Sociology, etc. etc.. Join us! Be love. Be Peace.
Interfaith Understanding & Exploration works with the chaplain to provide programs for personal and spiritual exploration and growth, and social healing through inter-faith education, service, justice, and unity events. We work alongside other groups like Jewish Student Union, SOULfriends, Intercultural Life, Civic Engagement and others. Our big push this year is Sustained Dialogue. Join us as instruments of healing peace.