COVID-19 Plan to Resume On-Campus Operations
Students, faculty, and staff will begin to return to campus in a phased approach dictated by our guiding principles and the current status of the COVID-19 virus in Iowa and Linn County. The current phase enacted on campus is indicated in green with bold type.
It is possible that the college will advance or step back through the phases in response to actual conditions at any time.
We value the Cornell College community and the life, safety, and dignity of each member of our
Our goal remains to facilitate learning in an immersive environment, with a preference for in
person classes and interactions, to prepare students for life beyond Cornell College. We model that by being adaptable, thoughtful, and inclusive in our practices.
- We recognize that people in our community have a diversity of needs, perspectives, and beliefs. We strive to work with individual needs, when feasible.
- We also understand that we have an impact on the wider Mount Vernon-Lisbon, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City community, and we take that impact into consideration in our decision-making.
- We will base decisions on our best understanding of the available scientific and medical data and public health recommendations, keeping in mind that this is a situation in which everyone is still learning, and that our decisions may change as new data becomes available.
- Like the block plan, our solutions may be distinctive, creative, and informed by the unique needs of Cornell College.
- Face coverings and social distancing are practiced across campus.
- Hand sanitizer is available at the main entrance of every building.
- Testing and contact tracing is available.
- Structural mitigation is in place. (e.g. plexiglass shields, 6ft. distancing in classrooms, one-way staircases, etc.)
- All students and employees coming to campus must complete the Symptom Checker before leaving home each day.
- Dining modifications are in place.
- Monitoring of internal and external conditions will be done daily to determine if the campus can advance to the next phase safely or needs to go back to a previous phase to safeguard the health of the campus.
- Group sizes are limited.
- Self-isolation and quarantine spaces are available.