Page 42 - Catalogue 2015-2016
P. 42

The calculation of GPA for purposes of Academic Review and subsequent determination of
federal financial aid eligibility does not include grades of Incomplete (I), Withdrawal (W),
Withdrawal for Health (WH), Registrar’s Withdrawal (WR), or grades for courses that have been
transferred to Cornell College

Transfer credits, accepted by Cornell, are counted as both attempted and completed hours for
purposes of SAP.

For repeated coursework, the original grade earned remains on the transcript and is not
replaced by the subsequent grade. A repeated course does not gain the student an additional
course credit toward graduation, unless the course description indicates that it may be repeated.

Veterans Administration

Students receiving VA benefits should consult with the Financial Assistance Office for
information and assistance. VA benefits recipients have the same rights and responsibilities as
all other Cornell students and are subject to the regulations and policies described in this
Catalogue except where the Federal Government has established laws or guidelines that are at
variance with Cornell's rules. In such cases, the VA recipient is held accountable for satisfying
both the College's and the Government's regulations.

Specifically, the points of difference are: (1) VA recipients will not be paid for a vacation Block.
(2) VA recipients will not be paid, or will be billed for overpayment, for any course from which
they withdraw, i.e., receive a grade of W, WH, or WR, unless the VA approves their appeal on
grounds of mitigating circumstances. (3) VA recipients who are placed on Probation by Cornell
College will be given two semesters (eight Blocks) to remove themselves from academic review.
If, at the end of this probationary period, the recipient fails to demonstrate satisfactory progress,
the recipient may have their benefits discontinued. The VA will not pay for any course numbered
in the 900s (off-campus programs). Permission may sometimes be granted by the VA for a non-
traditional educational experience upon petition in advance of the start of the project.

Declaration of Degree Candidacy, Majors, and Minors

1. On or before December 1 of their sophomore year, students must make one of the following
    declarations in the Registrar's Office (those admitted with senior standing must make their
    declarations within the first three months after entering Cornell):
    a. declare themselves candidates for either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Music
         degree by filing a Declaration of Major card;
    b. declare themselves candidates for the Bachelor of Special Studies degree by filing a
         Declaration of B.S.S. Degree card, and soon after that a completed Prospectus; or
    c. declare themselves unable to make a decision by filing for a Curriculum Advisor.
         Students may ask any faculty member to serve as their Curriculum Advisor. Under this
         arrangement, the advisor will work with the student to determine their academic and
         career goals and the best methods for achieving these.
    d. Sophomores who neglect to file their declarations on time will be subject to the
         regulations governing B.A. candidates and may be denied permission to register for their
         junior year. (See Degree Programs.)

2. In all degree tracks, students are limited to some combination of majors and minors totaling
    no more than three. Only in the B.S.S. degree can this be a combination of three minors.

Cornell College 2016-17 Academic Catalogue  42
   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47