Page 25 - Catalogue 2015-2016
P. 25

Cornell College has participated in the cooperative program with Washington University
in the past. This program allows a student to complete three years of study here at
Cornell and transfer their fourth undergraduate-year back from Washington University.
Participating in Washington University’s architecture undergraduate track will require
most students to develop their own individualized major. At this point, a student may
matriculate into the March program at Washington University. The cooperative
program route involves 3 years at Cornell and approximately 4 ½ years at Washington

There are exceptions to the list of courses appropriate for pre-architecture that require
consultation with the faculty. Students should contact the program advisor early in their

college career. Advisor: Christina Penn-Goetsch


To prepare for a career as a teacher at the K-12 level, see the statements given under the
Departments of Education, Music, or Kinesiology, and consult with that department
before December 1 of your sophomore year. For a career in higher education, consult the
faculty members in the field of your interest about the proper preparation, about your
choice of graduate school, and about the joys and trials of earning a Ph.D. Notice also
that several departments, under the description of their major, list additional courses to

be taken for students interested in graduate work. Education Advisor: Jill Heinrich


Students at Cornell have several options by which to prepare for a career in
engineering. The primary option is to complete a degree in Engineering Sciences at
Cornell. This degree requires 16 course credits, 8 of which are math and science courses
and 8 of which are engineering courses. This degree prepares students for work in
engineering fields and for engineering graduate school. For more information, consult

the Engineering Sciences advisor: Brian Johns.

Another option is for students to earn both a B.A. from Cornell College and a B.S.E. from
a university which offers more specialized engineering degrees. Students may enter the
engineering school after three years at Cornell and then complete requirements for an
engineering degree at the engineering school, which usually requires an additional two
years at the engineering school. To receive the B.A. from Cornell, students must satisfy
all degree requirements at Cornell, including completion of a major. Course and credit
requirements can be satisfied by transferring credits from the engineering school to
Cornell. Some students may prefer to complete their degree in four years at Cornell and
then spend two years at an engineering school to obtain the Bachelor of Science in


Although requirements at engineering schools may vary, the Engineering Sciences major
provides an excellent preparation for the Combined Degree program. Other majors are
possible, and preparation for further work in engineering should include:
MAT 121 (Calculus of a Single Variable), MAT 122 (Calculus of Several Variables), MAT
221 (Linear Algebra), and MAT 236 (Differential Equations); PHY 161, PHY 162,
and PHY 263 (General Physics I, II, and Laboratory); CHE 121 and CHE 122 (Chemical
Principles I and II) or CHE 161 (Accelerated General Chemistry); and

Cornell College 2016-17 Academic Catalogue  25
   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30