Teacher Education Application Process

To gain full admittance to the teacher education program and be allowed to take the 300 level education coursework, you must complete the application for admittance, complete the required 200 level courses, take and pass a basic skills test (Praxis Core or C-BASE), and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA. Applications will not be accepted until all materials are completed. Applications will be reviewed twice a year: after December 1 and after May 1. If all materials are not completed by September of your junior year, you will be withdrawn from Education courses. You will need to meet with your advisor to plan an alternative course of study. You may also utilize the TEP Admission Checklist.

  • Application for Admission Form

  • Completion of 200 level courses by end of sophomore year.  Two 200 level courses must be completed prior to admission. (205, 215, 230, 240)

    • EDU 205 Historical Foundations of Education
    • EDU 215 Educational Psychology
    • EDU 230 Exceptional Learner
    • EDU 240 Education and Cultures
  • Be in good standing with the College (not on probation). At least a cumulative grade point of 2.5. 

  • EITHER: Successfully complete the Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators by September 1 of junior year. You must score a total of 448 on this exam. You must score a minimum of 150 in the reading section, 140 in the writing section, and 128 in the math section. If you meet or exceed the total score of 448, but do not meet one of the minimum section scores, you must re-take that section of the exam until you pass.

    • Praxis applications can be found in the Education wing of College Hall or at www.ets.org/praxis.

  • OR: Successfully complete the C-BASE (College Basic Academic Subjects Examination). You must score a minimum of 235 on each section of the exam. After paying for the exam through self-service, you will receive a study booklet.
    • C-BASE applications can be found on the 2nd floor of Old Sem in the Academic Affairs office.
  • Recommendation from a professor outside of the Education Department (for secondary students, this should be a recommendation from a professor in your teaching major).  You are responsible for securing the recommendation before turning in materials to the Education Department.

  • Attach unofficial transcript to Application for Admission.