Recognizing that some students' needs will not be met by Cornell College's off-campus and study abroad programs, the College also makes it possible for students to receive transfer credit for courses taken on non-affiliated programs.

Students who wish to study off-campus through programs not formally affiliated with Cornell College may petition to the Office of International & Off-Campus Studies for permission to participate. Completed academic leave of absence forms must be submitted at least 90 days (three full blocks) prior to the program start.  Students intending to study during Blocks 1-3 should file the paperwork before leaving campus during the preceding year.  Students must also be mindful of the deadlines for the host institution or sponsoring agency.

If approved by the Office of International & Off-Campus Studies on behalf of Cornell and agreeable to the sponsoring college or program (and if the duration of the program will not exceed one academic year), the two institutions may enter into a consortium agreement. Under such an arrangement, the College will consider the student to be enrolled at Cornell while participating in the approved program, and will provide any federal and state financial assistance to which the student is entitled. Cornell-funded scholarship and aid monies are not available to students participating in non-affiliated programs. (You will meet with Cornell Financial Assistance to understand how this will affect your aid specifically.)

Grades for students participating in off-campus programs will be posted as transfer work, i.e. as "Credit" only, provided grades of "C" or better are earned. If, after completing the program, the participant does not re-enroll in Cornell, the courses taken and the credits earned in the program will not be recorded on the student's Cornell transcript unless he or she pays a processing fee of $100 for each course transferred.

Students participating in non-affiliated programs will pay all tuition and fees directly to the program sponsor. Federal loans may be applied to the cost of non-affiliated programs; Cornell aid will not. Interested students should explore supplementary financial aid through Rotary, Fulbright and the Gilman Scholarships. Check out the Scholarships and Fellowships brochure to learn more about financial options.

The non-Cornell College programs listed below are those we recommend as non-affiliated study abroad options. Consortium agreements are available upon the student’s completion of paperwork in the Office of Financial Aid.

For more information about how to apply for off-campus study, see How to Apply

The following programs have multiple locations worldwide:

IES: Institute for the International Education of Students

The following programs are located in Europe:

College Year in Athens, Greece (Athens, Greece)

Denmark’s International Study Program (Copenhagen, Denmark)

London School of Economics and Political Science (London, England)