1. Does Cornell have off-campus courses?

Yes! Cornell offers many one-block courses that travel to both domestic and international locations. A list of upcoming off-campus courses can be found on our website.

2. What are the different study abroad options?

If you are interested in studying abroad, you may do so in one of three ways: 1) enroll in a Cornell course; 2) apply for an affiliated program; 3) apply for another program. 

 3. Why should I travel off-campus?

St. Augustine once wrote, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." Studying abroad is a wonderful opportunity that can provide you with many cultural, historical, and emotional experiences that will benefit you personally as much as they will benefit your education.

 4. How do I choose an off-campus program?

First, you must decide where and when you would like to study. From this information, choose which of the above options works best for you. Explore our website and stop by the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies (2nd Floor, Old Sem) to pick up materials and discover more options.

5. When should I plan to study abroad?

If you plan ahead, studying abroad is possible at any point in your college career. However, your junior year may be the best option for receiving approval and working with your course schedule.

6.  Will my credits transfer back to Cornell?

If you are taking a Cornell course trip, your grade will be assigned just as it would if you were studying on campus. Affiliated Programs that are pre-approved for credit will transfer seamlessly, while other programs will need to be evaluated before the College will agree to issue credit. In both cases, you must receive a "C" or higher in the course to receive credit. (Also, non-Cornell off-campus courses are not calculated into your Cornell cumulative grade point average GPA.)

7. How will studying off-campus affect my financial aid?

If you are taking a Cornell course, your financial aid will not be impacted. Because everyone's financial aid package is different, you should plan to meet with the Financial Assistance Office if you plan to participate in any other type of off-campus program.

8. Will I need to meet language requirements?

Cornell and many other programs offer courses that do not have language requirements. Many language courses and programs often require a certain level of proficiency, however. Check the course description or program information to learn if there is a requirement for your program of choice.

9. Who can help me with my plans?

The Program Coordinator (x4385) is responsible for the Office of International and Off-Campus Studies.   They can provide important materials and help to point you in the right direction. The Associate Dean can also help answer some questions.

10. I want to get started! What is the next step?

Sounds great! Make an appointment to meet with our Program Coordinator (x4385) , second floor Old Sem, and you're on your way!