Budget Vehicle Rental Procedures
- Rental vehicles must be requested a minimum of 5 business days prior to the date of their use.
- Rental vehicles keys and paperwork are to be picked up from and returned to the Information Desk in Thomas Commons. Please do not lock keys or paperwork inside the vehicle. Return keys along with your paperwork to the Info Desk.
- Smoking is prohibited for all individuals driving or riding.
- Note: The cost of gasoline is in addition to the mileage rates on rentals.
- Vehicles are not rented to individuals for personal use.
Driver Eligibility Policy:
- Everyone who drives a rental vehicle must hold a valid driver's license (without any moving violations within the past 6 months).
- A photocopy of the driver’s license(s) should be submitted five days in advance. It will be solely at the discretion of the College administrative staff if driving privileges will be granted based on a search of driver/motor vehicle records.
- Student drivers must be at least 20 years of age and must be accompanied by a member of the Cornell faculty or staff.
- All drivers will be personally responsible for any violations, fines or fees (including parking fines). These are not chargeable to the College.
In Case of an Accident:
- Authorized drivers of rental/leased vehicles have auto liability insurance coverage through the College
- Included in the packet that you received when you picked up the keys is an accident form you will need to fill out and submit when you return the keys.
- In the case of a minor vehicle problem (e.g. flat tire) you will need to make that repair yourself. Budget is not responsible for these repairs and will be part of your rental expense.
- In the event of a serious break-down (e.g., engine failure) you will contact Budget and they will tow the vehicle and make a decision about whether it can be repaired or needs
Student Group Vehicle Request Procedures:
- Student groups and Student Affairs staff should use the form on the Info Desk website for making vehicle requests by clicking here.