Guidelines and Application for Independent Study Funding
General Guidelines for Independent Study
- All independent study projects must be for academic credit.
- The independent study project must be substantially related to economics, business, or public policy.
- Priority will be given to students undertaking unpaid independent study experiences.
- Funding recipients will be asked to submit digital photos of their participation in the independent study project, as well as a summary report to the Berry Center at the conclusion of the project, reflecting upon the experience.
- Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Potential for success in the independent study.
- Impact on your academic experience at Cornell.
- Relevance to economics, business, or public policy.
Funding Guidelines for Independent Study Projects
- Funds can be used to assist in covering travel, housing, or additional resource costs needed to support the independent study experience.
- One half of the funds will be disbursed approximately one week prior to the block of the project. The other half will be disbursed upon receipt of the summary report and photos.
- Funding is provided depending on the location of the experience.
- Daily driving distance (approximately 60 miles) of Cornell College: $200
- Midwest (contiguous states): $500
- East and West Coasts and Southern US: $1,000
- International: $1,500
To apply, submit the following to the Berry Center Associate Director, Box 2446 or 216 College Hall at least 21 days prior to the start of your independent study. Late materials will disqualify your application:
- Application below.
- A copy of the approved independent study proposal form from the Registrar’s office.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript from the Self-Service page.