Block 5 Protocols
Block 5 campus expectations (last updated 12/17/2020)
Here is additional detail about the safety protocols that will be in effect for Block 5, 2021. For those returning to campus, we encourage you to review our Cornellian Commitment pledge as a guide to our community expectations for one another.
Testing for early returners (January 6-16)
- [Rule] Sign up to be tested at the testing center within 48 hours of returning to campus. The testing gateway will be available in the symptom checker.
- [RULE] Complete the symptom checker for the 2 weeks prior to your return to campus date.
- [RULE] Complete the symptom checker every day and follow the guidance regarding quarantine and testing.
- [RULE] Wear an approved face covering properly (covering your nose and mouth) any time you are not in your residence hall room, outdoors alone, or doing personal grooming in the restrooms.
- [RULE] Maintain a minimum six-foot physical distance between you and others.
- [RULE] Wash or sanitize your hands thoroughly and often.
- [RULE] Be responsive and honest if you are part of a contact trace.
In your residence hall
- [RULE] No group gatherings in shared spaces, hallways, or group study at this time.
- [RULE] No visiting rooms other than your own.
- [RULE] No guests in your room.
- [RULE] If you are directed to quarantine, stay in your residence hall room and request meal delivery from email@example.com or you may choose to quarantine at home.
- [RULE] Residence hall kitchens will still be available for meal storage in community refrigerators and preparation. Those actively cooking can be in the space; others should not hang out there.
- [Recommendation] If your roommate is directed to quarantine, continue to wear your mask. Consider opening your windows if weather permits. Email Student-Health@cornellcollege.edu if you have specific roommate concerns.
In your classroom
- [RULE] Maintain physical distancing while in the classroom; leave furniture where it is placed.
- [Recommendation] If you have concerns about being in the classroom, feel comfortable to convert to online learning.
- [RULE] All reserved study spaces are limited to single occupancy.
- [RULE] You may study in the library and maintain physical distance. Continue to wear your mask.
- [RULE] Attend your scheduled cohort meal time unless you have requested an exemption.
- [RULE] If you choose to eat in a dining room, use seats where they are placed by staff and remain distanced from others when eating.
Travel off campus
- [RULE] Do not attend group events off campus that could expose you to COVID-19.
- [Recommendation] Avoid traveling in cars with others; this has been one of the highest forms of spread for Cornell students.
- [Recommendation] Minimize travel off campus as much as possible.
- [Recommendation] Traveling to off-campus jobs is allowed; please follow all safety protocols to minimize your potential exposure.
- [Recommendation] Take note that the positivity rate on campus is lower than the rate in Mount Vernon, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City. If you do go into town, call ahead to place an order when possible, limit your time off-campus, and follow all safety protocols.
Exercise & wellness
- [RULE] Sign up for exercise slots in the Roe Howard Fitness Center and Small Athletics Center.
- [RULE] Maintain physical distancing and we encourage a face covering when exercising outdoors.
- [Recommendation] Religious services, doctors appointments, meals outdoors, and connecting with friends are considered wellness activities; please take precautions if you attend in person instead of online.
- [Recommendation] Take part in Rev. Catherine’s yoga or meditation sessions on-demand.
- [Recommendation] Check out the resources available on the counseling center web pages.
If there are violations you see on-campus, whether by students, staff, or faculty, report as much information as you can about the situation through our online reporting system. We investigate each report and adjudicate as able.
If you have a question that was not answered in this list, or not clear enough, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work on providing additional clarity.