Page 28 - Catalogue 2015-2016
P. 28

programs. Many Cornell students interested in physical therapy double major
in Kinesiology and Psychology or Biology and Psychology.

In general, Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) programs require the following coursework
from Cornell students: BIO 141 and BIO 142 (Foundations: Organismal Biology and
Foundations: Cellular Biology); BIO 329 and BIO 330 (Anatomy and Physiology I & 2);
CHEM 121 and CHEM 122 (Chemical Principals I and Chemical Principals II) or CHEM
161 (Accelerated General Chemistry); STA 201 (statistical Methods I); PHY 141, PHY 142,
PHY 263 (Introductory Physics I & II and Laboratory Physics); PSY 161 (Fundamentals
of Psychological Science) and PSY 318 (Abnormal Psychology). KIN 207 and KIN 309
(Systems Physiology and Anatomy of Human Movement) are strongly
recommended. Some graduate programs may require math and social science courses
not listed above. The Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) is a

resource for identifying these possible requirements.

Additional information regarding preparation for entrance into a Physical Therapy
program can be found on the Dimensions website or by consulting the Pre-Physical
Therapy advisor, Kristi Meyer, DPT.

Social Work/Human Services

Although graduate programs in Social Work/Human Services generally accept any
major, students preparing for direct entry into these fields should consider majoring in
one or more of the following: Sociology, Psychology, or an individualized major designed
around some particular area (childhood, family, delinquency, etc.).

Students preparing for either graduate training or direct employment should include in
their programs these core courses: ECB 101 (Macroeconomics); PSY 161 (Fundamentals
of Psychological Science); SOC 101 (Sociological Perspectives); POL 172 (American

Politics); and one course in recent American history.

Students are strongly urged to acquire experience in social work or human services as
volunteers or interns. It is possible to earn credit for this kind of experience during the
academic year through PSY or SOC 280/380, and in the summer through PSY or SOC

Theology/Ordained Ministry

Most religious groups and denominations require a graduate professional degree from
an accredited seminary or divinity school for entrance into the ordained ministry. The
American Association of Theological Schools encourages prospective candidates to
present a wide variety of courses in humanities, social sciences, language, and natural
sciences which reflects a broad appreciation for the human community. There is no
prescribed pre-theological curriculum, but students moving toward ordained ministry
will find that courses in English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Religion, and
Sociology provide solid background for graduate courses related to ministry. Some
students create their own individualized majors combining work in several departments,
capped by an internship. Students considering ordained ministry should contact the
offices of their tradition to secure any special recommendations for their course of study,
and the steps to follow in order to be recognized as a candidate for ordination.

Cornell College 2016-17 Academic Catalogue                                                   28
   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33