Make sure to complete our request information form in order to receive detailed application information:
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but April 1 and Oct. 1 are recommended for full consideration. Later applicants may be waitlisted. You will need to submit:
- A 300-500 word personal statement about yourself as a writer and your goals for the study of writing.
- A creative writing sample. For poetry, submit up to 10 pages of single-spaced poetry; for prose, submit up to 25 pages of double-spaced work. Samples can be whole pieces, excerpts, or several short pieces. Whatever the sample consists of, place the complete sample into one file. Samples do not need to fill the page limit—a shorter sample is fine.
- A sample of academic writing. This may be an essay or excerpt from a college class or simply a response to a literary work you have recently read. The response should be an illustration of how you engage with/think about the work of other writers. 250-500 words.
- A brief resume (1-2 pages).
- Transcripts of previous college work.
- Contact information for two references. Please note that we only request the contact information—not letters. Submitting one letter of recommendation is optional. We do not generally recommend this unless a letter can address any specific, compelling circumstances.
- $30 application fee.
Please note: we know that your circumstances may be unique and application materials may not best suit your particular situation. If you have any questions about putting together materials, we are happy to work with you to develop an application strategy that suits your needs. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions about your application.