Tyler Carrington is a cultural historian of modern Germany and teaches a wide variety of courses in the German Studies curriculum, ranging from intro and advanced German language, culture, and literature courses to seminars in German history, gender and sexuality (especially masculinity), and urban studies.
A native of Iowa City, he has degrees in German (BA, MA) and history (MA, PhD). When he is not teaching, he enjoys singing and playing music with his band, hiking, golfing, woodworking, and challenging students to badminton matches.
Link to Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., History, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2014
- M.A., History, Loyola University Chicago, 2008
- M.A., German, Middlebury College, 2007
- B.A., German, Wheaton College, 2006
- Love at Last Sight: Dating, Intimacy, and Risk in turn-of-the-century Berlin (forthcoming from Oxford University Press in early 2019)
- “Love, Mobility, and Fate in turn-of-the-century Berlin.” In progress for Marcelo Borges, Linda Reeder, and Sonia Cancian (eds.), Languages of Love: Emotion, Gender, and Migration.
- “The Demystification of Love: Sentiment, Practicality, and the Body in turn-of-the-century Berlin,” forthcoming in Body Politics. Zeitschrift für Körpergeschichte.
- “Conflicted Fatherhood: Masculinity and the Modern World in the Life and Work of Thomas Mann.” Snodi. Pubblici e privati nella storia contemporanea 7 (Spring 2011): 16-37.
- “Instilling the ‘Manly’ Faith: Protestant Masculinity and the German Jünglingsvereine at the fin de siècle.” Journal of Men, Masculinities, and Spiritualities 3:2 (June 2009): 142-154.
- Review of Cohen, Alix and Robert Stern (eds.), Thinking about the Emotions. A Philosophical History. H-Ideas, H-Net Reviews, January 2018. PDF
- Review of Whyte, Iain Boyd and David Frisby (eds.), Metropolis Berlin: 1880-1940. Studies in Twentieth & Twenty-First Century Literature 41:2 (2017). PDF
- Review of Adriaansen, Robbert-Jan, The Rhythm of Eternity: The German Youth Movement and the Experience of the Past, 1900-1933. German History 34:3 (September 2016): 489-491. LINK
- Review of Reddy, William M., The Making of Romantic Love: Longing and Sexuality in Europe, South Asia & Japan, 900-1200 CE. H-Emotions, H-Net Reviews. June, 2016. PDF
- Review of Smith, Jill Suzanne, Berlin Coquette: Prostitution and the New German Woman, 1890-1933. H-Urban, H-Net Reviews. November, 2014. PDF
Cornell College (2015-)
- German 101: Beginning German I
- German 102: Beginning German II
- German 103: Beginning German III
- History 104: Modern Europe and its Critics
- German 115: Fairy Tales (in English)
- German 115: Magic, Myths, and Legends (in English)
- German 115: Sports and Athletic Culture in Germany, Past and Present
- German 116: The Holocaust (in English)
- German 205: Intermediate German
- German 301: Personal Narratives of German-Americans in Iowa
- German 302: In the Media
- German 315: The Fall of the Berlin Wall (in English)
- German 316: Berlin: Birth, Life, and Re-Birth of a World City
- German 351: Modern Men: Redefining Masculinity in the 1920s (in English)
- German 386: The First Masters of Sex: Angst, Medicine, and the Birth of Sexology in turn-of-the-century Berlin and Vienna (in English)
Kalamazoo College (2014-2015)
- German 201: Outsiders in Germany
- History 255: Twentieth-Century Europe
- History 259: Men and Masculinities in Nineteenth-Century Europe
Wheaton College (2014)
- German 103: Accelerated Elementary German
- German 201: Intermediate German
- Fulbright Research Grant to Berlin, Germany, 2011
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service) Research Grant (Declined), 2011
- Rotary International Scholarship to Berlin, Germany, Iowa City Noon Rotary Club, 2011
- Fellowship to Speyer, Cologne, and Weimar, Germany, German Historical Institute “Summer Archival Seminar for Young Scholars”, 2010
- “Germany Meets the U.S.” Campus Weeks for Cornell College, German Embassy ($2,200), grant author (2016)
- “Translation of Global Literacies Across the Curriculum,” Faculty Career Enhancement Grant (FaCE), Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ($18,000), grant co-author (2016)
Recent Conferences Attended
- "Love, Mobility, and Fate in turn-of-the-century Berlin," Social Science History Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2016.
- “The Demystification of Love: Sentiment, Practicality, and the Body in turn-of-the-century Berlin,” Annual Conference of the German Studies Association, Washington, D.C., October 2015.
- “Transatlantic Gawking: Berliners’ Fascination with Gender Norms in America Around 1900,” Annual Conference of the German Studies Association, Kansas City, MO, September 2014.
- “Analog Love, Digital Love: Navigating Love and Intimacy in the Modern Age,” Women’s and Gender History Graduate Symposium, University of Illinois, March 2014.
- “From Prague to Berlin: How the Czechs Helped Bring Down the Berlin Wall from the Inside,” National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, November 2017. On YouTube at: https://youtu.be/CDNJeIK9GP4.
- “Celestial, Local, and German: The Amana Meteor as Historical Nexus,” Amana Heritage Society, Amana, Iowa, April 2017. On YouTube at: https://youtu.be/XEUJGqH76fE.
- “From Benton County to Berlin and Back,” Mt. Vernon / Lisbon Rotary Club, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, April 2017.
- “Urban Sexualities in Berlin at the turn of the century,” Cornell College, April 2017.
- “Looking for Love in the Big City: Intimacy, Marriage, and Risk in turn-of-the-century Berlin,” Humanities and Arts Interest Group (HAIG) Lecture, Cornell College, February 2017.
- “From Personal Ads to Online Dating: Modern Technologies of Love and their Trajectories,” Cornell College, October 2015.
- “Love in the Big City: Intimacy and Modernity in Berlin around 1900,” Iowa City Noon Rotary Club, Iowa City, Iowa, June 2012.
- “America’s Next Top Graduate Student: Words of Wisdom for Surviving and Thriving in Graduate School in America,” Fulbright-Kommission Orientation, Berlin, Germany, April 2012.
- “Liebe in der Großstadt Berlin um 1900,” Rotary Club Berlin Nord, Berlin, Germany, January 2012.
- “Anxiety and Elation in Interwar Europe,” University of Illinois, April 2011.
- “Bourgeois Society and Separate Spheres: Masculine Identity,” University of Illinois, September 2009.
Misc. Interests and Achievements
- I also used to be part of a band called Colored By Numbers and a barbershop quartet called The Buzz (pictured)
"The Buzz" in their trademark purple tuxedos
- I am a passionate Iowa Hawkeyes fan and have been going to games at Kinnick Stadium religiously since the Iowa vs. Tulsa game in 1989 (an Iowa victory). I have also seen Iowa play at most of the Big 10 stadiums (Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland) and a handful of bowl games (2001 Alamo Bowl, 2002 Orange Bowl, 2003 Outback Bowl, 2004 Capital One Bowl, 2008 Outback Bowl, 2015 Big Ten Championship Game, 2015 Rose Bowl)
Trying to escape Herky at a game in the early 1990s
On the field after Iowa beat #3 Penn State on a last-second FG in 2008
A night game in 2016 with my wife
- I have now run the Karwendelmarsch (a 32-mile ultra-marathon with 7,500 ft of elevation gain in the Austrian Alps) twice, in 2016 and 2017. I also ran the 2007 Vienna Marathon and the 2009 Chicago Marathon.
Running through the Karwendelgebirge on the 2016 Karwendelmarsch between Scharnitz and Pertisau
A brief moment of flat running during the 2017 Karwendelmarsch