PhD, Department of Classics, Program in the Ancient Mediterranean World, University of Chicago, June 2009
MA, Committee on the Ancient Mediterranean World, University of Chicago, December 2002.
BA, Classics, University of Chicago, June 2001.
- Campbell R. McConnell Fellow, Cornell College, 2016-17.
- Commencement Speaker, Cornell College, 2015.
- Howard and Doris Troyer Faculty Award, Cornell College, 2015.
American Council of Learned Societies Fellowship, 2012-13.
Center for Hellenic Studies Fellowship, 2012-13.
Loeb Classical Library Foundation Fellowship, 2012-13.
Gaarde-Morton Junior Faculty Award, Cornell College, 2010-2011.
Mrs. Giles Whiting Dissertation Fellowship, 2008-2009.
Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship in Byzantine Studies, 2007-2008.
Martin Marty Center Dissertation Fellowship, Divinity School, University of Chicago, 2006-07.
Student Marshal, University of Chicago, 2000-2001.
Phi Beta Kappa, University of Chicago, 2001.
- Honor Among Thieves: Craftsmen, Merchants, and Associations in Roman and Late Roman Egypt. University of Michigan Press, 2016.
Articles and Chapters in Edited Volumes
- “Associations in Ptolemaic and Roman Egypt,” in The Oxford Handbook of Economies in the Classical World, A. Bresson, E. Lo Cascio, and F. Velde, eds. (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming).
- "Dying to Belong: Associations and the Economics of Funerals in Egypt and the Roman World," in Associations in Context: Rethinking Associations and Religion in the Post-Classical Polis, A. Cazemier and S. Skalts, eds., forthcoming.
- "P.Mich.Inv. 424: Packing List of a Katholikos," Bulletin of the American Society of Papyrologists 53 (2016): 175-188.
- “Courting the Associations: Cooperation, Conflict, and Interaction in Roman Egypt,” in Private Associations and the Public Sphere in the Ancient World, V. Gabrielsen and C. A. Thomsen, eds. (Copenhagen: Royal Danish Academy, 2015), 314-340.
- "Risk Management: Social Capital and Economic Strategies on Late Roman Estates in Oxyrhynchus," Historia 63 (2014): 463-486.
- "Matters of Trust: Associations and Social Capital in Roman Egypt," Center for Hellenic Studies Research Bulletin, vol.1, issue 2 (2013).
“A Receipt from the Holy Church of God at Hermopolis,” Bulletin of the American Society of Papyrologists 48 (2011): 89-97.
“Family Affairs: Guild Regulations and Family Relationships in Roman Egypt,” Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 50 (2010): 273-294.
“What’s in a Name?: Greek, Egyptian and Biblical traditions in the Cambyses Romance,” Bulletin of the American Society of Papyrologists 43 (2006): 139-158.
Areas of Expertise
Greek, Roman, and Late Antique History
- Ptolemaic, Roman, and Byzantine Egypt
- Ancient Economy
- "The Epigraphic Habit of Associations in Roman Egypt," University of Chicago, Early Christian Studies Workshop, May 24, 2016.
Dying to Belong: Death, Burial, and Egyptian Associations,” Bridges Between Life and Death: On Funerary Practice in Graeco-Roman Egypt, Center for the Study of Ancient Religion, University of Chicago, November 16, 2012; and CSIC, Madrid, Spain, February 25, 2013.
“The Economics of Association Funerals and Commemoration,” Associations in Context: Rethinking Associations and Religion in the Post-Classical Polis, Copenhagen Associations Project International Symposium, University of Copenhagen, October 11-13, 2012.
- “The View from Below -- Guilds, Law, and the Economy,” Legal Regimes and Legal Change, University of California, Berkeley, April 15, 2012.
“Risky Business: Living with Uncertainty and Risk on the Apion Estate in Late Roman Egypt,” University of Iowa, Department of Classics Colloquium, March 22, 2012.
“Group Thinking: Associations and Economic Behavior in First Century Egypt,” The Urban Economy in the Roman World: Synthesizing Historical and Archaeological Approaches, University of Chicago, February 3-4, 2012.
Service to the Cornell Community
- Department Chair, Classical and Modern Languages Department (2017-present)
- Humanities Representative, Divisional Council (2017-present)
- Chair/Program Advisor, Classical Studies (2014-2016)
- Co-Chair/Program Advisor, Archaeology (2014-2016)
Committee on Administration (2013-2015); Subcommittee on Faculty Salaries (Chair, 2014-15)
- Dean's Curriculum Advisory Committee (2013-14)
- Committee on Student Life (2010-2012); Subcommittee on Student Governance
Student Symposium Committee (2010-11)
Cornell College Assessment Planning Committee (Classical and Modern Languages Department Representative, 2010-2012)
President, Phi Beta Kappa Chapter, Cornell College (2011-12); Vice-President (2010-11)
Marketing Subcommittee of the College Wide Strategic Planning Committee (2012)