Writing Studio Director Director of Fellowships and Scholarships
- MFA in Creative Writing, Syracuse University
- BA in Religion and Creative Writing, Coe College
- Study abroad experience: National University of Ireland, Maynooth; Charles University, Prague; Sisai Language School, Quetzaltenango.
- Catch and Release. Forthcoming.
- "Direct Connection" in Bridge Eight. Spring 2021.
- "As a Man" in Crab Creek Review. Fall 2016.
- "A Lesson in Geography" in The North American Review. Spring 2016.
- "The Time Between Seasons" in The Antioch Review. Summer 2015.
- "Believers" in Hunger Mountain. Fall 2014. Nominated for a 2016 Pushcart Prize.
- "Names" in Stone Canoe. Winter 2014.
- "Where My Father Lives Now" in The Chariton Review. Spring 2014.
- "Elephant" in The Summerset Review. Summer 2013.
- "Listen" in South Dakota Review. Summer 2013.
- "Rootedness" in Camas. Winter 2012. Called "a solid coming of age story," and "a powerful work of short fiction," by New Pages.
- "Christmas Eve" in The Iowa Review. Winter 2005. Featured on the Huffington Post in December 2013 as one of "The 12 Weirdest Stories of Christmas."
- Book Critic. The Gazette. Fall 2013-present. Write over 200 reviews and interview more than 50 authors. Specialize in reviewing works in translation, from small presses, and by underrepresented authors.
- Review: Justin Torres’ We The Animals.” The Kenyon Review. Spring 2012.
- Review: Nellie Hermann’s The Cure for Grief.” Dossier Journal. Fall 2008.
Service to the Profession
Writing Center community:
- Chair, Midwest Writing Centers Association. Spring, 2016 – 2018. Board member since 2014.
- Conference Chair, Midwest Writing Centers Association. Summer 2014 – Spring 2016. Coordinate all efforts for the MWCA biannual conference, with anticipated attendance of 300+ professionals. Direct all conference efforts, from establishing and maintaining partnerships with the conference center and vendors, to coordinating efforts of a variety of MWCA players, to reviewing proposals, creating conference materials, and ensuring a smooth, meaningful three-day event.
Fellowships and Scholarships community:
- Review panelist. Gilman Scholarship. 2016
- Review panelist. Critical Language Scholarship. 2014,2015, 2017, 2018
- Review panelist. Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Scholarship. 2014
Recent conference presentations
Asterisks (*) indicates undergraduate presenters:
- 3-hour opening workshop: “Who’s got the power, and where does it come from? Renewing our approach to conference dynamics.” Authors: S. Donahoo*, J. Freeman*, E. Andrulis*, K. Morton*, H. Robertson*, P. Catchings*, and E. Khalimonova*. Midwest Writing Centers Association Conference. Cedar Rapids, 2016
- Poster: “Balancing Responsibilities and Building Campus Partnerships in Fellowships Advising.” Coauthors: Mary Swanson and Dr. Jayashree Shivamoggie. National Association of Fellowship Advisors Conference. Oakland, 2015
- Individual presentation: "Promoting the Writing Studio through two community-building initiatives: The Writer's Circle and The Interview Project." Authors: S. Altan-Ochir*, S. Donahoo*, T. VanderGaast*. Iowa Writing Center Consortium. Ames, 2015.
- Workshop: “Como se Dice? Foreign Language Conferences in the Writing Center.” Authors: A. Engel*, L. De Jonge*, L. Farmer. Midwest Writing Center Association Conference. Skokie, IL. Fall 2013.
- Individual Presentation: “Professional Writing in the Writing Center: How Writing Centers can prepare students (and consultants!) for life after college.” Midwest Writing Center Association Conference. Skokie, IL. Fall 2013.
- Individual Presentation: “Writing Beyond the Classroom: Joining Forces with the Career Engagement Center.” Iowa Writing Center Consortium. Upper Iowa University. Spring 2013.
- English teacher (juniors and seniors). Manlius Pebble Hill School, DeWitt, NY.
- Fiction instructor. Downtown Writer’s Center, YMCA, Syracuse, NY.
- Writing instructor. Onondaga Nation Elementary School, Onondaga Nation.
- Writing instructor. Syracuse University.
- Assistant House Manager. Big Apple Circus.