Janeve West (She/They) is an Associate Professor of Theatre and Dance at Cornell College where she serves as the head of Directing and Theatre History/Literature programs. Their directing credits include a variety of world premieres, devised pieces and fully scripted productions for The Omaha Theatre Company, Theatre Cedar Rapids, The Old Creamery Theatre Company, The Llano Estacado Institute for the Performing Arts, SPT, and multiple venues throughout the Midwest. Directing credits include: RENT, The Rocky Horror Show, Why Torture is Wrong and the People Who Love Them, Those that Fall, Waiting for the Parade, Here and Now: A Devised Piece, Cloud 9, Waiting for Godot, Machinal, Beauty and the Beast, Proof, The Learned Ladies, Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays, The Tempest, Woyzeck and Sweeney Todd.
She has a deep interest in new script development and Devised/Ensemble Based Theatre, Theatre for Social Change, Theatre of the Oppressed, Womyn’s Theatre, Puppetry, Viewpoints, Children’s Theatre and Creative Dramatics. She holds an M.F.A. in Theatre with a dual emphasis in directing and acting from Texas Tech University and a B.A. in Theatre and English Education from Southwestern College in Winfield, Kan. West is an Associate Member of the Stage Directors and Choreographers Society.
In the spring of 2019, West will direct the world premiere of To Be The Not and Conjure:A Cycle in Three Parts for Emory and Henry College, VA.
They will direct the world premiere of The Drowning at Red Rock for Cornell College in the spring of 2020
Link to Curriculum Vitae
- MFA in Acting/Directing, Texas Tech University. 2003
- BA (magna cum laude) English and Theatre Education, Southwestern College in Winfield, KS. 2000
- Directing I
- Advanced Directing
- Theatre and Society I and II (History and Literature)
- Theatre and Society I: Theatre of Ritual, Reverence, Revelry and Revolt
- Theatre and Society II: Theatre of Resistance
- Devised and Ensemble Based Theatre
- Play Analysis
- Theatre for Social Change
- Theatre History, Topics: Wicked to Wicked: Tracing the Musical Line from Burlesque to Broadway.
- Theatre History, Topics: Theatre and the Gods: Thousands of years of pleasing and pestering the powerful.
Shows and Productions
- Tin Woman
- The Rocky Horror Show
- Why Torture is Wrong and The People Who Love Them
- Vinegar Tom
- Waiting for the Parade
- Making God Laugh
- Here and Now: A devised piece
- Virtue (Staged Reading)
- Cloud 9
- The Tempest
- The Learned Ladies
- Sweeney Todd
- Waiting for Godot
- The Shape of Things
- The Baltimore Waltz
- Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays
- A staged reading and simultaneous premiere with The Tectonic Theatre Project and the Manetta Lane Theatre Company.
- Generating a Directorial Approach. Guest Lecture. Emory and Henry College. Feb. 2019.
- "Dreaming with Collective Imagination: Devising in and across the Liberal Arts Curriculum." Panel Chair, Coordinator and Presenter. Association for Theatre in Higher Education. 2014
- “Evoking the Bang: Literary vs. Theatrical Approach to a Text." Cornell College, September 2013
- “Minding the Gap: Performing Existentialism and Waiting for Godot.” Monmouth College, March, 2013.
- “Interdisciplinary Performance in the Liberal Arts: Challenges, Strategies and Success Stories.” Panel Presenter. Association for Theatre in Higher Education. August 2012.
- “Taking Theatre out of the Void: The Intentional use of Theatre as the Centerpiece for Broader Campus and Community Discussions.” Monmouth College. November 2011.
- Associate Member of Stage Directors and Choreographers Society
- Member of the Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas
- Member of The Association for Theatre in Higher Education