Professor of Education
Jill Heinrich is a Professor of Education. She taught high school English for eleven years, and her research interests include religious literacy and separation of church and state in American public education, masculinity studies, comparative education in Belize, and poverty and education. Heinrich teaches an off-campus course in San Pedro Town on the island of Ambergris Caye in the country of Belize.
- PhD in English Education, University of Iowa, 2001
- MS in Secondary School Administration, University of Iowa, 2000
- MS in English, Illinois State University, 1989
- BA in English, Northern Illinois University, 1985
- "The 18th Century Salonniere: How Constructivism Courted Genius in Enlightenment Salon." (2019) HAIG Presentation Cornell College.
- Interview, KCRG News, Iowa City, IA May 2017
- Interview, Cedar Rapids Gazette, Cedar Rapids, IA May 2017
- "The Devil is in the Details: In America, Can You Really Say 'God' in School?" ICHE Conference, Paris, France. June 2015.
- "Masculinity in America: The Men's Movement & Its Sounds of Silence." (2014). HAIG Presentation Cornell College.
- "The Devil is the Details: Can I Really Say 'God' in School." (2012). HAIG Presentation Cornell College.
- “Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the High School Setting." (2011). Paper Presentation. Paris International Conference on Education, Economy and Society.
- Heinrich, J., Bostwick, K. Donham, J. (May 2008). Authentic inquiry: Beyond the conventional senior paper, HAIG Presentation, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA.
- Heinrich, J. Bostwick K,and Donham, J. (June 2008). Authentic questions and authentic inquiry. Selected as Scholar Participant for Carnegie Summer Institute. Creighton University, NE.
- “Confronting the Criticisms: Why Educators Might Resist Standardized Essay Writing.” (2004). Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- “Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the English Classroom.” (2002) Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- “Professional Mentoring in Secondary Schooling.” (2000) Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Professional Leadership Conference. Milwaukee, WI.
- "The Enlightenment Salon: A Gendered Site for Constructivist Pedagogy." Educational Review 14 September 2021.
- "When Cultures Clash: The Story of One School's Journey from Acculturation to Understanding." Educational Review 28 April 2017.
- "Engaging Students in Authentic Questions for Reflective Practice." (co-author Jean Donham). Teacher Education & Practice. Vol. 28. Issue 4 (in press)
- “Searching for a Masculine Model: Missteps made during three Decades of the Men’s Movement & Why Moderation is the Key.” Journal of Men’s Studies. Vol. 22 No. 3 Fall 2014.
- “The Devil is in the Details: In America, Can you really say ‘God’ in School?’ Educational Review, 24 Sept. 2013.
- “Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the High School Setting.” The High School Journal Dec 2012/Jan. 2013 Vol. 96 No. 2 Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- “Mental Models of Research: Generating Authentic Questions.” (co-authors K. Bostwick & J. Donham) College Teaching. Jan. – Mar. 2010 Vol 58 No. 1.
- Book Review. Critical Encounters in High School English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents by Debra Appleman. (co-author C. Lewis) Journal of Literacy Research. Teachers College Press, October 2000.
- Education and Culture
- Secondary Teaching Methods
- Secondary Literacy, Pedagogy and Management Theory
- Comparative Education in Belize
- Masculinity & Education
- Education Senior Seminar
- Rossier Faculty Award for Scholarship in the Social Sciences, 2018-19
- State Panel Board Member, Iowa Department of Education, 2014 to 2017
- Research Award, Iowa Library Association, 2010
- Promising New Researcher Award, National Council of Teacher's of English, 2002
Service to the Cornell Community
- Review, Tenure & Promotion Committee, 2019-present
- Faculty Representative, Athletics Sub-committee
- Student Life
- Institutional Review Board, Committee Member
- Research, Tenure & Promotion Committee, 2013-15
- Administration Committee, 2013-15
- Education Department Chair, 2011 - 2015
- MAT Advisor
- Symposium Committee, 2012-13, 2004-08, Chair 2007, 2008, 2009
- Faculty Development Committee, 2012-13
- Academic Programs Sub-Committee, 2011-12
- Academic Affairs, 2011-12
- Technology Advisory Committee, 2011-12 & 2008-09
- Student Life Committee, 2010-2012
- Writing Program Committee, 2003, Chair 2004
- McConnell Faculty Development Grant, Research in Ireland 2021
- McConnell Sabbatical Grant, Research in Italy 2018
- Rossier Award Grant for Research in the Social Sciences, Research in Ireland 2018
- McConnell Faculty Development Grant, Research in Ireland 2016
- Mellon Grant for Curricular Enhancement - Education Department, 2012, 2014
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest Innovating Change Grant for Curricular Development, 2013-14
- Mellon Grant for Latin American Studies Course Development, 2011
- Iowa Department of Education, Formative Assessment Grant, 2012
- McConnell Faculty Development Grant, 2011
- McConnell Sabbatical Grant, 2009
- National Endowment for the Humanities Grant, 1988