Professor of Geology
- Ph.D., Geological Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003
- Dissertation: Exhumation of the Norwegian Ultrahigh-Pressure/High-Pressure Terrane
- B.A., Geology, Middlebury College, 1997
- Thesis: Analysis of Structures and Metamorphism across the Monroe Line Northeast of the Victory Pluton, Granby, Vermont
- Physical Geology, GEO 111
- Iowa Geology: Story under your Feet, GEO 114 (FYS linked with SOC FYS)
- Go West, fieldtrip course, GEO 123
- Mineralogy, GEO 212
- Igneous Petrology, GEO 306
- Metamorphic Petrology, GEO 307
- Origin of Mountains, GEO 325
- Independent Research Block, GEO 485
- Menold, C.A., and Walsh, E.O., in preparation, Relationship between the early Paleozoic SSZ ophiolite complex and North Qaidam UHP metamorphic belt in NW China.
- Hollocher, K., Kennedy, C., Robinson, P., and Walsh, E., in review, Metamorphosed cumulate gabbro from the Støren Group of the upper Allochthon, northern Western Gneiss Region, Norway: petrology and metamorphic record: American Mineralogist.
- Walsh, E.O., Hacker, B.R., Gans, P.B., Wong, M.S., and Andersen, T.B., 2013, Crustal exhumation of the Western Gneiss Region UHP terrane, Norway: 40Ar/39Ar thermochronology and fault-slip analysis: Tectonophysics, v. 608, p. 1159–1179.
- Hollocher, K., Robinson, P., Walsh, E., and Roberts, D., 2012, Geochemistry of amphibolite-facies volcanics and gabbros of the Støren Nappe in extensions west and southwest of Trondheim, Western Gneiss Region, Norway: a key to correlations and paleotectonic settings: American Journal of Science, v. 312, p. 357–416.
- Hacker, B.R., Andersen, T.B., Kylander-Clark, A.R.C., Johnston, S., Peterman, E., Walsh, E.O., and Young, D., 2010, High-temperature deformation during continental-margin subduction and exhumation: the ultrahigh-pressure Western Gneiss Region of Norway: Tectonophysics, v. 480, p. 149–171.
- Barth, N.C., Hacker, B.R., Seward, G.G.E., Walsh, E.O., Young, D., and Johnston, S., 2010, Strain within the ultrahigh-pressure Western Gneiss Region of Norway recorded by quartz CPOs: Geological Society of London Special Publications, v. 335, p. 663–685 doi:10.1144/SP335.27.
- Hollocher, K., Robinson, P., Terry, M.P., and Walsh, E., 2007, Application of major- and trace-element geochemistry to refine U–Pb zircon, and Sm/Nd or Lu/Hf sampling targets for geochronology of HP and UHP eclogites, Western Gneiss Region, Norway: American Mineralogist, v. 92, p. 1919–1924.
- Hollocher, K., Robinson, P., Walsh, E., and Terry, M.P., 2007, The Neoproterozoic Ottfjället dike swarm of the Middle Allochthon, traced geochemically into the Scandian hinterland, Western Gneiss Region, Norway: American Journal of Science, v. 307, p. 901–953.
- Walsh, E.O., Hacker, B.R., Gans, P.B., Grove, M., and Gehrels, G., 2007, Protolith ages and exhumation histories of (ultra)high-pressure rocks across the Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 119, p. 289–301.
- Walsh, E.O., and Hacker, B.R., 2004, The fate of subducted continental margins: two-stage exhumation of the high-pressure to ultrahigh-pressure Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 22, p. 671–687.
- Hannula, K.A., Lackey, J.S., Mattox, E., McGrath, G., Onasch [Walsh], E., and Wertheim, J., 1999, Syn-tectonic pluton intrusion during contractional deformation: microstructural and metamorphic evidence from the aureole of the Acadian Victory Pluton, north-eastern Vermont, USA: Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 17, p. 271–286.
- Understanding the ultrahigh-pressure eclogites of Tso Morari through the study of major and trace elements: Nikki Ahline, 2014
- Major and trace element thermobarometry of (ultra)high-pressure rocks from the Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Erin Newman, 2014
- Thermobarometry on metamorphic rocks from the Harcuvar Core Complex, northwest Arizona: Thomas Weiss, 2014
- The tectonic significance of rubies (literature study): Nikki Ahline, 2013
- Alpine instabilities from thawing permafrost (literature study): CJ Frazier, 2013
- Trace element analysis of garnets from UHP eclogites, Tso Morari, India: JB McElroy, 2013
- Reconstructing the Moldefjord area, Norway, pre-UHP subduction: Maggie Savage, 2013
- U–Pb dating and trace element analysis of Moldefjord zircons in the Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Stephanie Wheeler, 2013
- Evolution of a Cretaceous subduction zone model: insights from the Catalina Schist: Michael Barthelmes, 2012
- Honors Thesis: Thermobarometric modeling of the Catalina amphibolite unit: implications for tectonic and metasomatic models: Henry Towbin (Oberlin College), 2012
- Zircons of the northern WGR, Norway: Matt Ash, 2011
- Honors Thesis: Using eclogites to decode the pressure/temperature history of an ultrahigh-pressure metamorphic zone, North Qaidam mountains, China: Robin Drucker, 2010–2011
- Correlating metamorphic U–Pb ages and P–T paths of the Western Gneiss Region, Norway, using zircon geochemistry, cathodoluminescence and Ti thermometry: Wayne Hendryx, 2011
- Analysis of the Proterozoic Gneiss at the Manson impact structure: Wilson Keys, 2011
- Honors Thesis: Elemental diffusion in eclogite garnets from the North Qaidam (U)HP metamorphic belt, China, and its implications for thermobarometry: Chelsea Nissen, 2010–2011
- Petrology and cathodoluminescence imaging of (U)HP allochthons, Western Gneiss Region, Norway: James Ostrander, 2011
- Oxygen partitioning in the Fe-S-O system: Ellen Shank, 2011
- Gabbro zenoliths and their implications for the magma chamber dynamics of the Midfells Volcano, Western Volcanic Zone, Iceland: Nic Slater, 2011
- Tectonic origins of the North Qaidam ophiolite, Qaidam–Qilian block, Qinghai Province, China: a geochemical study: Natashia Pierce, 2010
- Shear history of the Lüliangshan Detachment Zone, Qinghai Province, China: Natashia Pierce, 2009
- Titanite geochronology in the north-central Western Gneiss Region: Nicholas Tripp, 2008
- Scanning electron microscope study of zircon grains in gneisses and pegmatites from the Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Michael Quinn, 2007
- Sector zoning and age in zircon grains from the Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Megan Regel, 2007
- Therombarometry of a pelitic schist, Western Gneiss Region, Norway: Erin Kane, 2004
- Is the Kyoto Protocol fundamentally flawed? (literature study): Liz O'Connell, 2004