Professor of Psychology
Alice Ganzel, Professor of Psychology, is a developmental psychologist specializing in adolescent development, with specific interests in adolescent emotional development and adolescent decision-making. Additionally, Dr. Ganzel is a member of the Environmental Studies Committee and periodically teaches a course on environmental psychology, and is a member of the Mount Vernon [city] Sustainability Committee.
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1996
- MA, Developmental Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1992
- BA, Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1987
- Child Development
- Fundamentals of Psychological Science
- Research Methods
- Senior Seminar
- Psychological Insights into Environmental Problems
- Emotions: Understanding the Passions (topics course)
- Ganzel, A. K. and Siebert, J. (2016). Gaining interdisciplinary perspectives on environmental psychology in Costa Rica. In D. Gross, K. Abrams, & C. Z. Enns (Eds.), Internationalizing the Undergraduate Psychology Curriculum: Practical Lessons Learned at Home and Abroad, (pp. 145-160). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Adolescent Decision-Making: The Influence of Mood, Age and Gender on the Consideration of Information. Journal of Adolescent Research, 14, 289-318.
- Socioemotional Development. In The Encyclopedia of Human Behavior, (pp. 275-286), V. S. Ramachandram, Ed. (with R. A. Thompson).
- Decision-Making in Adolescence: Are We Asking the Wrong Questions? In Motivation in Adolescents: Advances and Achievement in Motivation (pp. 1-31), P. R. Pintrich & M. L. Maehr, Eds. (with J. E. Jacobs)
Recent Conferences Attended
- NITOP: National Institute for the Teaching of Psychology, 2014
- Biennial Meeting Meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence, 2014, 2018
Service to the Cornell Community
- Chair, Institutional Review Board (IRB), 2011-14 and Chair of Institutional Review Board Advisory Committee, 2006-2011
- Member, Environmental Studies Committee, 2011 to current
- Member, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, 2003-2006
Service to the Profession
- Reviewer, National Science Foundation grant proposals
- Reviewer, several textbooks on adolescence and child development
- Reviewer, paper and poster submissions to Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescent Development