I am a professor in the Kinesiology Department at Cornell. Courses I teach include sport psychology, exercise psychology, motor learning, sports and American society, and coaching theory and practice. I served as the head varsity wrestling coach from 1982-2000. Teaching at Cornell also allows me to work with students as an academic advisor, to assist with internships and advanced studies, and to consult with coaches and student-athletes about psychological skills training. My wife, Marie, and I raised our two sons in Mount Vernon. We enjoy living close to the College and having Cornell students as our neighbors.
- PhD, Sport Psychology, University of Iowa, 1998
Human Performance: Sport Psychology, Minnesota State University-Mankato,
Social Science Secondary Education Certification, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1975
BA, Political Science, University of Iowa, 1972
- Exercise Psychology
- Psychology of Sport
- Sports and American Society
- Motor Learning
- Coaching Endorsement/Authorization
- Internships and Advanced Studies
Service to the Cornell Community
- Kinesiology Department Chair (1986-89, 1990-95, 1997-2002, 2003-06, 2010-13)
- Reaccreditation Committee (2007-13), Co-Chair (2007-09)
- Kinesiology Department self-study reports and assessments (1991-92, 1995-96, 2001-02, 2010-12)
- Committees: Academic Affairs, Academic Standing, Academic Programs, Academic Regulations, Library Advisory, Administration, Recruitment and Admissions, Student Life, Athletics, Computer Technology, Teacher Education, Professional Development, Committee on Committees, Search Committees for Dean of Students and Faculty Hiring
- Athletic Faculty Representative, Athletic Sub-Committee Chair(2012-13)
- New Student Orientation lectures (2006-2012)
- Social/service group advisor: Alpha Chi Epsilon (1987-2002), Phi Omega (2006- Present) and Mu Lambda Sigma (2006-10)
- Living and Learning Community group advisor: Miracles in Motion (2004-05) and HEAL (Helping Encourage Active Lifestyles) (2008-09)
- Presentations and panels for prospective students and scholarship recipient events. Individual meetings with prospective students and parents.
- Presentations to student groups on stress management, fitness and wellness, and sport and exercise psychology. Consultation and coaching sessions in sport psychology and performance enhancement for Cornell College student-athletes.
- Assistant for Cornell College Orchestra and Choir concert tours: Italy, Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany, (May, 2001) and Italy (May, 2005)
- Conversations About Teaching presentation on test anxiety, Cornell College, January, 2012
Publications and Presentations
- Keynote speaker for Osseo, MN High School Leadership Program, May, 2012
- Summer roadblocks for running: In Training Tips (Beth Dreher), Runner’s World, Aug, 2010
- Overcoming barriers to running workouts: In Training Tips: Get Over It Beth Dreher), Runner’s World, Mar, 2010
- DeVries’ Advice for Sport Parents – ‘Relax’, Cedar Rapids Gazette, June, 2009
- Youth Sports and Your Child, Cedar Rapids Public Library Adult Program, May, 2009
- Self-Confidence in Sport and Life: Sources and Strategies, ACTION Female Student-Athlete Leadership Group, Cornell College, February, 2009
- Setting Goals for the Block Plan, Cornell College Sophomore Summit, November, 2008
- Coaching Your Children Seminar for parents, Mount Vernon, Iowa, September, 2008
- Commencement Address, Playing Outside: Nature-Deficit Disorder, Cornell College, May, 2008
- Instructor Guide and Test Bank (2006, on-line) for Successful Coaching (3rd Ed.) by R. Martens (2004), America Sport Education Program, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
- Guest Lecture, Approval of Aggressive Acts in Wrestling: Individual and Contextual Variables, Department of Psychology, University College Dublin, Ireland, April, 2003.
- Keynote Lecture, Aggression and Moral Reasoning in Sport, Applied and Integrated Studies, The Chelsea School, University of Brighton, England, May, 2003
- Research Lecture, Applied Sport Psychology: A Coach’s Perspective and Experience, Sport and Exercise Department, Northampton University, England, May, 2003
- Symposium Presentation, Approval of Aggressive Acts in Wrestling: Individual and Contextual Variables, Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology Conference, October, 2001
- Keynote Address, Developing Self-Confidence in High School Wrestlers, Iowa Wrestling Coaches Association, West Des Moines, Iowa, October, 2000
- Commencement Address, Optimal Experience: Flow for Life, Cornell College, May, 1995.
- Community-Building and Bowlers, On the Hilltop, Cornell College, January, 1995
- Mental Training, Goal Setting and Mental Imagery for Basketball, University of Iowa Basketball Camp for Girls, July, 1994
- Cornell College Alumni Seminar, Optimism: A Rational Approach, June, 1992
- High school coaches workshop, Mental Skills for Performance Enhancement, Iowa City West High School, May, 1991
- Seminar Presentation, Psychological Rehabilitation from Athletic Injury, Steindler Orthopedic Clinic, Iowa City, Iowa, November, 1991
- Good and Bad of Sports for Kids, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Gazette, Oct, 1990
- Wrestling USA, Psychological Rehabilitation for Injured Wrestlers, Sept, 1990
University of Iowa, Health and Human Physiology Department, Fall, 2013, Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
University of Iowa, Health and Sport Studies Department, Summer, 1992, Stress Management and Introduction
to Sport Psychology
- Secondary Social Sciences Teacher, Cambridge High School, Minnesota, 1978-82: Courses in history, politics, psychology, sociology, geography, and economics
Teaching Assistant in Human Performance,
Intramurals Program Assistant,
Minnesota State University-Mankato, 1777-78
Social Sciences Teacher,
Blue Earth Area School District, Minnesota, 1975-77: Course in history and politics
Organizations and Conferences
Psychology Conference, Center for Performance Psychology (2013, 2014)
- Member: Association for Applied Sport Psychology member (1991-Present)
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology Conferences, 1991, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009.
American Society for Psychology of Sport & Physical Activity Conference, 1993,
- Sport, Health, & Exercise Sciences Student Conference, University of Wales-Bangor, 2003.
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest Seminar, Cultural Work of American Sport, 1992
- Head Wrestling Coach, Cornell College, 1982-2000
- Associate Head Wrestling Coach, Cornell College, 2000-03
- Head Men's Golf Coach, Cornell College, 1982-83
- Head Men's Tennis Coach, Cornell College, 1984-89
- Head Wrestling Coach, Cambridge High School, MN, 1978-82
- Graduate Assistant Wrestling Coach, Minnesota State University-Mankato, 1977-78
- Head Wrestling and Assistant Football Coach, Blue Earth High School, MN, 1975-77
- Assistant Wrestling Coach, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1973-74
- Graduate Assistant Wrestling Coach, University of Iowa, 1971-73
Honors and Awards
Mayo Civic Center Wrestling Hall of Fame, MN, 2012
Division III Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame, 2010.
R. McConnell Fellowship Grant, 2009-10.
College Sports Hall of Fame, 2008.
- Campbell R. McConnell Fellowship Grant,
Region 1AA Distinguished Alumni Award, 1999.
Club Sports Hall of Fame, Rochester, MN, 1998.
- National Wrestling Coaches Association 25 Year Service Award, 1998.
- NCAA Division III Wrestling Coaches Association 25 Year Coaching Award, 1997.
of Iowa Summer College
Faculty Scholarship and Honoraria, 1992 & 1994.
- University of Iowa
delegate to the Big Ten Conference Capstone Knowledge of Kinesiology
of Michigan, November,
- Cornell College Wrestling
- Ten Midwest Conference Team Champions (1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996)
- Seven NCAA Division III Championships top twenty-five finishes (1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1997)
- Sixty-six Midwest Conference individual champions
- Nineteen NCAA Division III All-Americans, one National Champion
- Numerous Scholar All-Americans and Academic All-Conference Wrestlers
Earth, MN and Cambridge, MN High Schools Wrestling
- Coached four Minnesota High School State Championship qualifier teams in five years as a head coach (1976-82)
- Two individual state champions and seventeen state tournament qualifiers, 1975-82
States Olympic Trials Freestyle Wrestling Finalist at 180.5#, 1972
Wrestling News #1 ranked at 177#, (35-0 season record, 25 falls), 1970-71
- United States Freestyle Wrestling Team Trials,
Ten Conference Outstanding Wrestler Award, 1971
Valuable Wrestler Award, University
of Iowa, 1970-1971
- Midlands Tournament Champion, 177#, 1970.
Big Ten Conference place-winner, 1969-71 (3rd, 2nd, 1st)
of University of Iowa Wrestling Team, 1969-71
- University of Iowa Wrestling, full athletic scholarship,
three varsity letters, 1967-71
Community and Professional Service
- University of Iowa National Varsity Club Board of Directors, 2010-Present
- NCAA Wrestling Committee member, 1998-2002 (Chair, 2001-02)
Scorer at NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, 1985, 1991, and 1995
Ten Conference Championships Tournament Committee, 2005
and instructor for youth wrestling camps and clinics
youth wrestling and baseball coach
of USA Wrestling events including USA Greco-Roman Championships (1988)
speaking at athletic banquets and seminars for athletes, coaches, and parents
Vernon Schools Mentoring Program, Computer Tutor, and Playground Project
for Iowa State Legislature and U.S. Senate election campaigns
for high school leadership workshops and career days
for Mount Vernon-Lisbon and Cedar Rapids Recycling Pilot Programs
for Meals on Wheels delivery to homebound community members
- Southeast Linn
Community Center fundraiser volunteer
Rapids Public Library Foundation volunteer