Professor Ochoa-Shivapour teaches courses in a range of courses, emphasizing inequality, and social justice through literature, culture, cinema, and close readings of primary texts. Her research and teaching integrates multiculturalism. Her areas of interest are Quixote, Latin American/Peninsular Literature and Culture, Latino Studies, Chilean Literature and Film, Dictatorships in Latin America, Latin American Post Colonial Studies, Hispanic Women, Hispanic Cinema, The Spanish Conquest, and Ethnic Studies.
- Spanish 102/103/205
- Composition and Conversation
- Advanced Grammar and Composition
- Text and Theory
- Peninsular Culture and Civilization (taught in Spain)
- Latin American Culture and Civilization
- Latinos in the US
- Dictatorships in Latin America
- Introduction to Textual Analysis
- Advanced Grammar
- Unconventional love in Spanish Literature
- Literature of the Spanish Conquest
- Latin America though Film
- Hispanics in the US (FYS)
- Introduction to Ethnic Studies
- The Conquest Revised (taught in the Bahamas)
Latest Confrences Attended
- Contexts and Language Learning in the 21st Century, DePaul University, April 17-18, 2015
- ACM Online Teaching Workshop, Chicago, June 13-14, 2014
- 2014 Workshop for Department and Division Chairs, Baltimore, MD, May 13-15, 2014
- A World at Home, a Home in the World, 2014 Iowa Humanities Festival, Salisbury House, Des Moines, April 12, 2014.
- Transatlantic Educators Dialogue Program, University of Ilinois (12-week online program. February 19-May 4, 2014).
- Using Technology to Support Language Learning in all Contexts. University of Iowa. March 1, 2014
- Primer Congreso Internacional los Pueblos Indígenas de América Latina, siglos XIX-XXI. Avances, perspectivas y retos. October 28-31, Oaxaca, Mexico.
- IV Congreso Internacional de Lenguas y Literaturas Indoamericanas. Universidad de la Frontera, Temuco, Chile, November 14-16, 2012
- Latino Conference, University of Iowa, 2012
- Asociación Internacional de Hispanistas (AIH)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. (AATSP)
- Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Teaching the Quixote in the Midwest, University of Iowa, October 24, 2016
- Prejudice and Pride: Artistic and Literary Creations of Latinos 1960-1980's, Kirkwood Community College, April 7, 2016