Jill Heinrich is an Associate Professor of Secondary Education. She taught high school English for eleven years, and her research interests include religion and education, authentic inquiry and masculinity studies.
PhD in English Education, The University of Iowa, 2001
MS in English, Iowa State University, 1989
BA in English, Northern Illinois University, 1985
- “Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the High School Setting." (2011). Paper Presentation. Paris International Conference on Education, Economy and Society. Paper Presentation.
- "Authentic Questions and Authentic Inquiry.” (2008) Paper Presentation. Carnegie Summer Institute. Creighton University, Omaha, NE.
- “Confronting the Criticisms: Why Educators Might Resist Standardized Essay Writing.” (2004). Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- “Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the English Classroom.” (2002) Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- “Professional Mentoring in Secondary Schooling.” (2000) Paper Presentation. National Council of Teachers of English Professional Leadership Conference. Milwaukee, WI.
- HAIG Presentations. Cornell College. 2014, 2012, 2008, 2006
“Searching for a Masculine Model: Missteps made during three Decades of the Men’s Movement & Why Moderation is the Key.” Journal of Men’s Studies. September 2014.
“The Devil is in the Details: Can I Really Say ‘God’ in School?’ Educational Review, 24 Sept. 2013.
“Boys’ Talk: Mediating Masculinity in the High School Setting” Dec 2012/Jan. 2013 Vol. 96 No. 2 Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press
J. Heinrich, K. Bostwick, and J. Donham. “Mental Models of Research: Generating Authentic Questions.” College Teaching. Jan. – Mar. 2010 Vol 58 No. 1.
Research Award by the Iowa Association of College Libraries for this publication.
Heinrich, J. and Lewis, C. (2001). Review of Critical Encounters in High School English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents by Debra Appleman. Journal of Literacy Research. October 2001
- Education and Culture
- Secondary Teaching Methods
- Reading in the Content Areas
- Comparative Education in Belize
- Masculinity & Education
- Education Senior Seminar
Member of State Panel for Iowa Department of Education, 2014-16
Review Team Member for State Review of Central College, 2014
Service to the Cornell Community
- Research, Tenure & Promotion Committee, 2013-15
- Administration Committee, 2013-15
- Education Department Chair, 2011 - present
- MAT Advisor
- Symposium Committee, 2012-13, 2004-08, Chair 2007, 2008, 2009
- Faculty Development Committee, 2012-13
- Academic Programs Sub-Committee, 2011-12
- Academic Affairs, 2011-12 Technology Advisory Committee, 2011-12 & 2008-09
- Student Life Committee, 2010-2012
- Chair, Writing Program Committee
Mellon Grant for Curricular Enhancement, 2012, 2014
ACM Innovating Change: Grant for Curricular Development, 2013-14
Mellon Grant for Latin American Studies Course Development
Iowa Department of Education, Formative Assessment, 2012
McConnell Faculty Development Grant, competitive award, 2011
McConnell Sabbatical Grant, 2009
National Endowment for the Humanities, 1988