- PhD in Chemistry, Caltech, 1989
- BA in Chemistry, minor in Biology, Whitman College, 1982
- CHE 108: Chemistry of Global Health Issues (First-year seminar)
- CHE 121: Chemical Principles I
- CHE 122: Chemical Principles II
- CHE 161: Accelerated General Chemistry
- CHE 202: Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 333: Advanced Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 335: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
Areas of Expertise
- Bioinorganic chemistry
- Dreyfus Teaching/Research Fellow, Occidental College, 1988-89
- Research Associate, Pomona College, 1982-83
- Research Chemist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, summer 1982
- 25 poster presentations with Cornell College students at local, regional, and national meetings, 1992-2016
- M. Chattopadhyay, E. Nwadibia, C. D. Strong, E. B. Gralla, J. S. Valentine, and J. P. Whitelegge, The Disulfide Bond, but Not Zinc or Dimerization, Controls Initiation and Seeded Growth in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis-linked Cu,Zn Superoxide Dismutase (SOD1) Fibrillation, J. Biol. Chem. 2015 290, 30624.
- M. Chattopadhyay, A. Durazo, S. H. Sohn, C. D. Strong, E. B. Gralla, J. P. Whitelegge, and J. S. Valentine, Initiation and elongation in fibrillation of ALS-linked superoxide dismutase, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2008, 105, 18663.
- C. Strong and J. Ruttencutter, Biochemical Applications in the Analytical Chemistry Lab, J. Chem. Educ. 2004, 81, 1706.
- L. M. Utschig, T. Baynard, C. Strong, and T. V. O'Halloran, Probing copper-thioether coordination chemistry in rusticyanin and azurin by 2D 1H-199Hg NMR, Inorg. Chem. 1997, 36, 2926.
- C. Strong, S. L. Harrison, and W. Zeger, Preparation and characterization of cobalt(II)-substituted rusticyanin, Inorg. Chem. 1994, 33, 606.
- C. Strong St. Clair, H. B. Gray, and J. S. Valentine, Spectroelectrochemistry of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, Inorg. Chem. 1992, 31, 925.
- C. Strong St. Clair, W. R. Ellis, and H. B. Gray, Spectroelectrochemistry of blue copper proteins: pH and temperature dependences of the reduction potentials of five azurins, Inorg. Chim. Acta 1992, 191, 149.
- C. D. Selassie, C. D. Strong, C. Hansch, T. J. Delcamp, J. H. Freisheim, and T. A. Khwaja, Comparison of triazines as inhibitors of L1210 dihydrofolate reductase and of L1210 cells sensitive and resistant to methotrexate, Cancer Research 1986, 46, 744.
- E. A. Coats, C. S. Genther, C. D. Selassie, C. D. Strong, and C. Hansch, Quantitative structure-activity relationship of antifolate inhibition of bacteria cell cultures resistant and sensitive to methotrexate, J. Med. Chem. 1985, 28, 1910.
- E. Kakkis, V. C. Palmire, C. D Strong, W. Bertsch, C. Hansch, and U. Schirmer, Quantitative structure-activity relationships in the inhibition of photosystem II in chloroplasts by phenylureas, J. Agric. Food Chem. 1984, 32, 133.
- 2014 Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grants Program, "Portable X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer," $10,000; joint grant with Coe College; 2013.
R. J. McElroy Trust Student/Faculty Research Fund, “Production and Study of Mutant Forms of Human Copper-Zinc Superoxide Dismutase,” $2000; 2012.
R. J. McElroy Trust Student/Faculty Research Fund, “Copper and Zinc Binding to Mutant Forms of Human Superoxide Dismutase,” $2000; 2006.
R. J. McElroy Trust Student/Faculty Research Fund, “Production, Purification, and Metal Binding Studies of Copper-Zinc Superoxide Dismutase,” $2000; 2005.
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest: Faculty Career Enhancement Program, “Copper and Zinc Binding to Mutant Forms of Human Superoxide Dismutase,” $3000; 2005-06.
National Science Foundation: Curriculum, Course, and Laboratory Improvement Program, “Integrating Biochemical Topics into the Analytical Lab using HPLC and UV/Visible Spectrophotometry,” $38,002; 2002-05.
Petroleum Research Fund of the American Chemical Society, “Metal binding and redox activity studies of the cobalt-dependent enzyme methionine aminopeptidase,” $24,935; 1997-99.
SC Johnson Wax Fund, “Notebook Computers for Data Acquisition in General Chemistry,” $10,000; 1997-98.
- National Science Foundation Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement Program, “Improving Undergraduate Instruction in Electrochemistry,” $9625; 1993-95.
Petroleum Research Fund of the American Chemical Society, “Metal Substitution Studies of the Blue Copper Protein Rusticyanin,” $18,000; 1991-93.
- National Science Foundation Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement Program, “Atomic Absorption Spectrometer for Undergraduate Instruction in Chemistry,” $10,069; 1991-93.
Supplemental Award of the Dreyfus Foundation Grant Program in Chemistry for Liberal ArtsColleges, “Preparation and characterization of metal-substituted forms of the blue copper protein rusticyanin,” $10,000; 1990-92.