P.O.W.E.R. Critical Leadership Program
Peers Optimizing Well-being through Empowerment and Resilience (P.O.W.E.R.)
The aim of POWER is to create a community of critically conscious, engaged learners concerned with identifying and resourcefully addressing systems and structures of power and privilege to promote equitable, just, and inclusive environments and become social change agents in their immediate spaces and their greater communities. To achieve this, scholars will be provided with resources for critical social justice education and will be engaged in opportunities for mentorship, service-learning and action research over the course of four semesters.
Leadership, education, mentorship, self-navigation, and service with a critical consciousness
Intercultural Literacy and Communication
- Help students obtain a working knowledge of critical social justice ideologies and fundamentals over the course of the program.
- Engage students in a critical service learning project.
- Engage students in an action research project either at Cornell or in the greater community.
- Engage students in one-on-one and group peer mentoring over the course of their participation.
- Explore at least one text related to social justice and critical consciousness each year of participation.