Both elementary and secondary education students must complete the exit exams for licensure in Iowa. You must score above the lowest 25 percent of test takers to pass the exams.
One exam is focused on pedagogy. The other exam is focused on content. The content exam is determined by your major content. Additional endorsements does not mean you need to take additional exams. You only need to take two exams: one in pedagogy and one in content.
Elementary Education K-6
- Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT): K-6; Test Code 5622, Minimum Score 167
- Elementary Education: Content Knowledge; Test Code 5018, Minimum Score 151
*The State Legislature has authorized an exemption to allow test 5011 to count toward the pedagogy requirement for elementary education teachers who have already taken or enrolled to take the 5011 test. Please note the exemption is only for the pedagogy requirement. All elementary candidates are still required to take the 5018 content assessment.
Secondary Education 7-12 and Post Baccalaureate Certification
- Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT): 7-12; Test Code 5624, Minimum Score 166
- The content test associated with the student's content (subject) area
If the Praxis II is not passed by August after graduation and the student has not been recommended for licensure, there is an option that allows students to substitute teach until the Praxis has been passed. A student must apply directly to the BOEE for "substitute authorization". This certificate will allow the student to sub on a day to day basis. It does not allow for a long-term subbing position.
Prepare for the exit exams
- Free Praxis II practice guides and exams are available through Learning Express
- Plan ahead as Praxis II tests are offered only on select dates throughout the year
- Register at ETS
- List Cornell College as a score recipient (school code is 6119)
- Not teaching in Iowa? Be aware of the test required in that state
- Additional information from the Iowa Department of Education
Praxis Core and II Testing Center
1305 5th St., Suite 103