Cornell College recognizes that as a result of disability some students may be unable to satisfy specific course work requirements for degree completion. Therefore, qualified students with disabilities may request that appropriate course substitutions be considered.

The Registrar's Office, in conjunction with the Office of  Academic Affairs, the chair of the department of the student's major, and the student's academic advisor (and in consultation with appropriate faculty academic policies committees), will review such requests on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility and to reasonably accommodate qualified students with alternative course work that will satisfactorily fulfill the appropriate degree requirement.

Students should follow the steps below to request a course substitution:

  • Provide the Coordinator of Disability Services with complete, current documentation of disability. The documentation must include verification of disability, evidence of a disability-related need for the substitution, and justification for regarding the request as reasonable.
  • Provide the Coordinator of Disability Services with a history of any previous attempts to complete the course work in question, including high school and/or college transcripts.
  • Meet with the Coordinator of Disability Services to discuss the request and review the documentation.  You may then meet with Registrar if the Coordinator feels it is appropriate.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to meet with his/her advisor(s) to determine the impact of a course substitution on the student's program of study. The substitution should not substantially alter an essential element of the student’s program of study, including requirements for majors and minors.