Plan & Advertise Your Event
There are a number of steps in making your event successful. This page outlines typical steps and provides links to a number of campus resources related to event planning.
Extensive event planning information for student events is available in the Student Organization Handbook.
Event planning checklist
Step 1: Ensure funding
If you are a student organization, work with Student Senate Appropriations Committee to make sure you have funding.
Step 2: Reserve a space and tech equipment
Use Meeting Room Manager to set the time and location of your event.
Fill out the Thomas Commons Tech Request Form if you need something other than what is in that space.
Step 3: Describe your event
Develop a brief (50-75 words) description of your event, including a contact name and email address. Also include a link to more information or a registration form, if available. You'll use this in advertising your event in the next few steps.
Step 4: Add your event to the calendar
Submit your event to the master calendar as far in advance as possible. We will review your posting prior to approving it for display on the master calendar, and we reserve the right to edit for grammar, style, length, etc. All events approved for the master calendar will be published automatically in the Campus Newsletter and the events listings on the faculty/staff and student gateways.
Step 5: Promote your event on campus
There are a variety of avenues for displaying or distributing promotional materials on campus. You may also consider social media channels managed by student groups or offices.
- Campus Newsletter, published each Thursday. Master calendar events are automatically included in the newsletter; other submissions are due by 4 p.m. Tuesdays by using the submission form.
- Residence hall flyer policy
- Thomas Commons banner and flyer policy
- Thomas Commons digital wall, Table tents, Twitter, and Student Gateway ads
- Submit a blog entry for the student life blog to: email@example.com