A successful first-year experience
6 ways parents can help
- Discuss the necessity to attend every class meeting, prepare before class, and turn in all assignments.
- Encourage them to establish guidelines with roommates early, and to talk regularly with each other about how they are getting along.
- Encourage them to meet with professors and advisors, and use resources in the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Stress the importance of effective time management, and discuss the pitfalls of too much screen time (social media, gaming, etc.).
- Advise them to take in campus events, meet people, and get involved. Engagement outside of the classroom contributes to learning and development.
- Ask what they like most and least about college; help them build on the positives and develop solutions for alleviating the negatives.