Curricular Practice Training (CPT)

CPT is authorized to be employed in training off-campus which is an integral part of an established curriculum and is directly related to the student's major of study. Practical training may be authorized to a student who has been lawfully enrolled on a full time basis for one full academic year.

If you are interested in applying for a CPT, please fill out the Advisor Recommendation Form CPT and the F-1 Curricular Practical Training Request.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is authorization for employment directly to a student's major of study. The following  forms are needed to apply for OPT:

For OPT, you must properly file Form I-765 up to 90 days prior to your program end date and no later than 60 days after your program end date. You must also file the Form I-765 within 30 days of the date the Office of Intercultural Life enter the recommendation for OPT into your SEVIS record.

In order to apply for an OPT, you must be able to respond, "Yes", to the following questions: 

  • Is your I-20 current? Does it reflect your current field of study and educational level? 

  • Do you have a passport?

  • Have you had less than 12 months of full-time curricular practical training (CPT)?

  • Have you been a full-time student for one full academic year?

If you answered “yes” to all of the questions, you will need to complete the OPT forms. All of the OPT forms are available online and may be downloaded from the web. Make an appointment with ICL Staff to review OPT and I-20 endorsement. View information regarding the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization.

You can also find your I-94 online

For more information, please take a look at our PowerPoint presentation or visit ICE.