Leadership is generally defined as the act of motivating and inspiring others toward achieving common goals.
These experiences should help you explore your values, leadership principles, ethical boundaries, and self-awareness as you collaborate with others. Through this process, you will begin to understand how your unique personality and skills influence others.
Participation in leadership programs
Work as a Resident Assistant
Officer for a student organization or Greek group
Athletics team leadership positions
Other experiences fitting the stated goals of the category
- Each One, Teach One (EOTO) leader
- International Student Orientation (ISO) leader
- LEADS program
- President of Geology Club
- Resident Assistants
- Varsity Athletic Team Captain/Leadership Council/Tribe Leader
Student learning outcomes:
- You will be able to describe your purpose for and approach to the process of leadership and will recognize how this manifests in the work that you do.
- You will learn to work effectively with others due to an understanding of leadership principles.
- You will be able to articulate principles that guide your work with others.
- You will reflect on how you wish to engage in leadership during and after your Cornell experience.
Questions to address in your reflection:
- Please address how you accomplished the learning outcomes listed above. Be specific and provide examples.
- Reflect on your effectiveness in leading individuals who differ in many ways, including positions, personalities, backgrounds, strengths, weaknesses, and so forth. What challenges did you face and how did you or could you address these challenges? To what extent were you able to draw productively from the differences among people?
- If applicable, describe your approach to working with your peers and what you learned from taking that approach. What skills do you feel were necessary to effectively lead your peers? How did you, or will you, develop those skills as you continue to lead others?
- Were there times when you felt you failed and/or succeeded as a leader? What might you do differently in the future if you experienced failure and how would you build on your successes? How has this experience changed your view of what leadership means?
- How do you feel you developed, academically, socially, and personally, over the course of the project? How has this experience influenced your future plans?
- Please indicate how you would put this on your resume, include the title of the position and 1 to 3 sentences describing your experience.
Complete your Leadership application in Presence.