Agamemnon Study Questions:
for information on Aeschylus and here
for background and images for the Oresteia.
- A major theme of myth is the reintegration of the warrior into society
after war. How does Agamemnon's homecoming differ from Odysseus' return
home? What are the factors that contribute to these differences? How
can inherited myths about kings and heroes be assimilated into a democratic
- Think of how the play would have been staged. What is the most prominent
structure on the stage? How is it significant to understanding the play.
- How does the representation of Agamemnon in Aeschylus' play compare
to his character in Homer? Do you find him to be a more or less sympathetic
character in this play?
- What do you think of the representation of Clytemnestra? What are
her motives for killing Agamemnon in this play? Are we supposed to find
her a sympathetic character, or not? How is Helen viewed in this play?
- What impact on has the Trojan War had on Mykenai? How does the chorus
of elders feel about Agamemnon and his return?