Cornell College Chaplain
My purpose is love. As a Cornell graduate ('89) I have lived out this purpose as Cornell's chaplain since 1996 by providing both Christian and Inter-Spiritual care. This care includes:
- Offering spiritual care, healing, and guidance for diversely religious, spiritual-but-not-religious, and secular students, faculty, and staff.
- Helping others explore their beliefs, sense of meaning and purpose, identity, and healing wholeness. This includes in their relationships with self, others, the Sacred, and world.
- Providing campus leadership in times of celebration and tragedy.
- Creating voluntary opportunities for Christian (ecumenical) devotion such as Night Prayer.
- Supporting students from other traditions as they express and celebrate their faith.
- Teaching wellness practices including as a certified meditation and yoga instructor.
- Creating social justice, diversity sensitivity, and inter-faith understanding learning opportunities including through this Office's Interfaith Understanding & Exploration student org.
- Mentoring pre-seminary and other students. Also serving as both personal and group advisor including to orgs like Sustained Dialogue, Hillel, and our previous Muslim Student Association.
- Working with all Divisions of the College, especially Student Affairs including the Offices of Counseling, Intercultural Life, and Civic Engagement. I also work with the Religion Department, as well as other faculty and staff areas as we prepare our students for wise, compassionate servant citizenship. This position reports to the President and assists with our ongoing relationship with the United Methodist Church.
The care and growth of souls is a humbling, holy privilege. Wherever you are on the journey, I wish you peace, offering my support along the way. Feel free to stop by my office if you ever want to talk.EDUCATION:
Doctor of Ministry in Christian Spirituality, Washington Theological Union, Washington, D.C. 2014.
Doctoral work in Theology, Ethics and Culture. University of Iowa School of Religion, 1994-96 (left to become chaplain of my alma mater and a mom).
Clinical Pastoral Education, Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Summer 1994).
Master of Divinity, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, California (1994).
Master of Arts blending inter-faith studies, religion and the visual arts, and theology of human suffering. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA (1994).
Yad Vashem Studies for Holocaust Educators through Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel (Summer 1993).
Bachelor of Arts, Religion and Art majors, Cornell College, Mt. Vernon IA (1989).
MEDITATION, YOGA, & THE HEALING ARTS:
Certified Yoga Instructor (Yoga Alliance 200hr)
Certified Meditation Instructor (American Institute of Health Care Professionals)
Meditation based doctoral research. Includes the creation and teaching of a six week heart-focused compassion meditation/interior prayer program for personal and communal healing which. In 2014 the dissertation was featured by HeartMath Institute.
Koru Meditation Instructor (teacher certification in progress 2018-19)
Certified Healing Touch Spiritual Ministry Practitioner.
Reiki Master and Teacher.
Spring Forest Qi Gong Levels 1, 2, & 3. Includes seated and movement based mind-body-spirit practices as well as helping others heal.
Sound Healing with Himalayan Singing Bowls - Level 1
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course U of I Hospitals & Clinics (2007).
ORDINATION: Sacred Order of Priests of the Episcopal Church (2006-present). The United Church of Christ (1996-2005).
- Priest Associate, Trinity Episcopal Church – Iowa City, Iowa since 2006. Assist with preaching, presiding, funerals, spiritual care and healing.
- Co-Director and Practitioner of the Mt. Vernon Community Healing Touch Circle A free monthly clinic held at the Mt. Vernon, Iowa Presbyterian Church.
- The Inter-Religious Council of Linn County Board of Directors (2016).
- Thaler Holocaust Committee, Linn County (1985-1990; 1996-2010; 2015 - present).
- Consultant, The Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church Board of Higher Education (1996 – present).
- Director of The Episcopal Diocese of Iowa Summer Ministry School & Retreat (2006-2009).
- Previously on Board of Directors & Strategic Planning Committee for the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa.
MEDITATION WORKSHOP & SPIRITUAL RETREAT LEADING SAMPLER:
- Embodied Christ Consciousness, Episcopal Summer Ministry School & Retreat, Grinnell College, June 2018.
- Seated and movement based energy medicine practices, Spiritual Practices Sacred Activism course, Illuminations, Cedar Rapids, IA (Aug. 6 & 19th, 2016).
- Radiance: An Inter-Spiritual Advent Retreat for Conscious Carriers of Light, Prairiewoods Franciscan Spirituality Center, Hiawatha, Iowa (Nov. 13-15, 2015). A similar version of this retreat was also offered through The Episcopal Diocese of Iowa Ministries School & Retreat (July 19-21, 2015).
- Weekly Meditation, Mindfulness, and Mind-Body-Spirit Practice instruction for stress reduction, healing, and vitality at Cornell College (ongoing).
ACADEMIC COURSES CREATED & TAUGHT THROUGH THE RELIGION DEPT.:
- Jesus and Judaism
- Suffering and the Sacred
- Namaste: Mysticism, Meditation, and Servant Leadership--a contemplative Hindu and Christian inter-spirituality course in India.
PUBLICATIONS, LECTURES, ART EXHIBITIONS, etc. etc.
- Doctoral dissertation: Deep Abiding: Praying, Living, & Loving From The Inside Out (Spring 2014).
- Institute of HeartMath featured doctoral dissertation: Doctoral Research Project Explores Healing with Heart-Focused Prayer/Compassion Meditation email distribution internationally July 7, 2014.
- Forgiveness, Ethical Perspectives on the News an Interreligious Council of Linn County televised broadcast on ABC-KCRG, TV9, (Oct. 4, 2011).
- 9/11 10th Anniversary speaker, Veterans Memorial Stadium, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 2011.
- Namaste: Visual Meditations on Mystical Theology & The Divine Within Cornell College; The Lincoln Cafe; Trinity Episcopal-Iowa City (2009-2010)
- Curator for Episcopal Church and Visual Arts: Recognition & Return exhibit, Lent 2010.
- Mother & Child & Namaste Mandala images in ECVA's "Ubuntu" Exhibit, Summer 2009
- Inner Journey Iowa State Fair B/W Photo Exhibition entry ('09)
- Incarnation: Reflections on the Spirit of Dr. Meers. Wapsipinicon Almanac, No. 14, 2007.
- "Modern Jewish Art and the Crucifixion: a Study in Appropriation." Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal Vol. LXXX, No. 1 (Spring 1997):133-152.
- "Christian Theology After the Jewish Use of Christological Imagery in Holocaust Art" The Holocaust: Lessons for the Third Generation. Ed. Dominick A. Iorio, Richard L. Libowitz,
and Marcia S. Littell. University Press of America, 1997. 81-90.