McConnell Travel Fund - Second Call
TO: All Full-Time Faculty and Lecturers, Lab Instructors and other Academic Instructional Staff who are appointed at or above the half-time level on a continuing basis
FROM: Joe Dieker, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
DATE: October 11, 2019
SUBJECT: McConnell Travel Fund – for travel between January 1, 2020, and June 30, 2020
We are pleased to announce the availability of additional support for faculty travel through the McConnell Travel Fund for the 2019-20 academic year. These funds will support travel opportunities that occur between January 1, 2020, and June 30, 2020. This endowed fund, established by Campbell McConnell ’50, recognizes that regular professional interaction and continued development for faculty members is important to the intellectual life of Cornell College.
Awards from the McConnell Travel Fund were made last spring for the 2019-20 academic year. However, many faculty members did not know of certain opportunities to travel at that time.
Therefore, we will now entertain proposals for travel for the second half of this year. Proposals are due October 28, 2019.
Awards may range from $100 to a maximum of $2,500. Funds are limited and awards depend on the amount currently available, the number and quality of proposals submitted, and the history of funding. Priority may be given to faculty who have not recently received funding.
- The McConnell Travel Fund will support faculty travel, including attendance at professional meetings and travel for special projects and initiatives, if approved by the Dean of the College.
- The Divisional Council will evaluate all proposals and make recommendations to the Dean of the College.
- Travel funds may be obtained by requesting a travel loan in advance or by submitting receipts for reimbursement. In either case, the “Travel Loan and Expense Reporting Form” must be completed and submitted with the itemized documentation to the Office of Academic Affairs for review and approval, within 30 days of incurring the expenses. In regard to the use of these funds, please refer to the Business Expense Reimbursement Policy on the Business Services webpage.
- The total amount awarded for meals will be capped at $230 (with no single day’s food reimbursement to exceed $51). Applicants may request additional daily amounts for those cities with higher rates as established by the IRS. However, the maximum amount requested cannot exceed $255 (the equivalent of five days).
- Awarded funds must be used for the purposes described in the proposal. If a faculty member wishes to use the funds in any other way, he or she must consult with the Dean in advance to seek approval.
- Funds must be expended in full by June 30, 2020. Grantees must submit a report (250 words) summarizing their activities funded by the grant to the Office of Academic Affairs by September 1, 2020. The grantee cannot be considered for additional faculty development funding if the report is not filed.
- Online proposals should be completed at the following link (https://www.cornellcollege.edu/academic-affairs/faculty-development/internal/index.shtml) and include:
- name of the conference or purpose of proposed travel
- brief statement (250 words) specifying the activity, and the importance and/or benefits of this activity
- an itemized budget
- an explanation of any unclear or atypical budget requests, if needed (i.e. requesting additional daily amounts for food in traveling to a city with higher IRS rates)
- Proposals should be submitted using the online form by October 28, 2019. Retain a copy for your file. Awards will be announced by the end of November.