Emil and Rosa Massier Award in the Social Sciences
To: Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty in the Social Sciences
From: Erin Davis, Interim Dean of the College
Date: January 24, 2020
Re: The Emil and Rosa Massier Award in the Social Sciences
The College is very pleased to announce support for faculty development in the social sciences thanks to the generous gift of alumna Elfriede Massier, Ph.D. ’62 and her husband Larry E. Schrader, Ph.D. The Emil and Rosa Massier Award in the Social Sciences honors Dr. Massier’s parents, who had the courage to begin life in a new country in the wake of World War II, and acknowledges the profound impact Cornell College had on Dr. Massier’s life.
Faculty may apply for funding for projects to be undertaken during the summer or the academic year. The Emil and Rosa Massier Award provides up to $2,000 in project support.
- The award is intended to provide funds for scholarly, creative or curricular projects in the social sciences through professional travel or other expenses related to projects which qualify as tax-exempt under federal IRS guidelines.
- These funds should not be used to support the purchase of equipment, computers, hardware, software, printers and other computing accessories, unless pre-approved by the Dean. These items can be requested through the College’s regular process for capital requests.
- Awards are for a period beginning May 08, 2020. Funds will be disbursed upon submission of receipts of related expenses or documentation of costs incurred. Funds should be expended in full by June 30, 2021.
- Awarded funds must be used for the purposes described in the proposal. If the faculty member wishes to use the funds in any other way, the Dean must be consulted in advance to seek approval of the change.
- A brief written report (250 words) on activities related to this project is due in the Office of Academic Affairs within 30 days of funds expended. The grantee cannot be considered for additional faculty development funding if this report is not filed.
The Divisional Council will evaluate all proposals and make recommendations to the Dean of the College.
- Online proposals for the Emil and Rosa Massier Award should include:
- A description of the project and/or activity (250 words); and a statement explaining how the project/activity contributes to your professional development, including immediate and longer-term outcomes (250 words).
- An itemized budget. In your itemized budget, please be careful to follow Cornell’s Business Expense Reimbursement Policy on the Business Services webpage. The total amount awarded for meals will be capped at $230 (with no single day’s food reimbursement to exceed $46). Applicants may request additional daily amounts for those cities with higher rates as established by the IRS. However, the maximum amount requested cannot exceed $230 (the equivalent of five days).
- An explanation of any unclear or atypical budget requests, if needed (i.e. requesting additional daily amounts for food in traveling to a city with higher IRS rates)
- Proposals should be submitted using the online form by March 6, 2020 for projects to be undertaken during the 2020-21 academic year or during the summer of 2020. Acknowledgement of receipt of the proposal will be sent. Retain a copy for your file. Awards will be announced by the end of March 2020.