**Please note that the only place to have a Bonfire on campus is at the Intramural Fields**
3 weeks in advance:
__ Meet with Director of Student Activities to discuss event
__ Meet with Charlie, Gary, Ace or John from Facilities to discuss the event
- Is there wood available to start the fire?
- Who will bring the wood to the fire location and who is responsible for stacking the wood?
- Determine what will be used to start the fire
- How will the fire be put out at the end of the night?
__ Request burn permit from Linn County
- Cost is $10 – they will mail a permit to the address you include. After receiving the permit you will request a check through Community for their payment.
2 weeks in advance:
__ Confirm that a staff member will be present for the entire event
__ Notify Director of Campus Safety of event
- Be sure to provide event details
- Time of the event
- Name of staff member present at event
- Student contact
- How fire will be put out
- That you have contacted Facilities
- Burn permit has been requested/received
1 week in advance:
__Notify Mount Vernon Fire Department of event (319) 895-8320
- They likely already know about it because of the burn permit request, but it is good to follow up.
__ Check weather forecast
- In the case of rain or high wind a bonfire cannot happen. Check in with the Director of Student Activities to confirm or cancel the event
__ Depending on arrangements made with Facilities, ensure that wood is stacked while there is still daylight.