Pre-law students can gain practical experience in the legal profession and in related areas through an internship. Internships allow pre-law students the opportunity to explore whether the law is the right career path for them. Interns are placed in law firms, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and in corporations.
Responsibilities may range from doing basic legal research, assisting attorneys prepare for cases, understanding how laws are developed and implemented, and more. Students interested in a pre-law internship should incorporate a substantial project throughout the experience to maximize their learning at the internship site.
With the consent of a Cornell faculty member, students may be eligible to receive academic credit for their internship. Consult a pre-law advisor for more information.
Pre-law students have completed internships or Cornell Fellowships at the following locations:
- ARC of East Central Iowa in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Association of Business and Industry in Des Moines, Iowa
- Barabashev & Partners in Moscow, Russia
- D.L. & F. DeSaram Attorneys-at-Law in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Goldwater Institute in Phoenix, Arizona
- Iowa Civil Rights Commission in Des Moines, Iowa
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources in Des Moines, Iowa
- Institute for Justice in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- KNP Law in Budapest, Hungary
- Legion Arts in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Office of Congressman Chris Carney (D-PA) in Washington, DC
- Office of Congressman Dave Loebsack (D-IA) in Washington, DC
- Office of Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) in Washington, DC
- Office of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) in Washingon, DC
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores in Alexandria, Virginia
- Riverside Casino and Golf Resort in Riverside, Iowa
- South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, South Carolina
- Sustainable Agriculture Coalition in Washington, DC
- Target Corporation in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- T & D Associates in Beijing, China
- United Way of East Central Iowa in Cedar Rapids, IA
- University of California, Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California
For more information on law-related internships, contact the Center for Law and Society Coordinator.