Google Apps supports IMAP and POP connectivity. Please follow these steps to enable this type of communication.
To set up your Thunderbird client to work with Gmail:
- Enable IMAP in Gmail. Make sure you click Save Changes when you're done.
- Open Thunderbird, and select Tools > Account Settings.
- Click Add Account.
- Select the Email account radio button and click Next. The Identity screen appears.
- Enter your full name in the Your Name field. Enter your Gmail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Email Address field, and click Next. Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format email@example.com
- Select IMAP as the type of incoming server you are using. Enter imap.gmail.com in the Incoming Server field.
- Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.gmail.com and click Next.
- Enter your full email address (including @gmail.com @cornellcollege.edu) in the Incoming User Name and Outgoing User Name fields, and click next.
- Enter a name for your email account in the Account Name field, and click Next.
- Verify your account information in the dialog box, and click Finish.
- Select Server Settings from the folder list below your new account.
- Update the Port value to 993.
- In the Security Settings section, select SSL from the Use secure connection options.
- Select the 'Check for messages at startup' checkbox and the 'Check for new messages every 10 minutes' checkbox.
- Click Outgoing Server (SMTP) in the folder list.
- Select the smtp.gmail.com (Default) entry from the list and click Edit. The SMTP Server page appears.
- Enter smtp.gmail.com as the Server Name and set the Port to 587.
- Select User name and password and enter your full email address in the User Name field.
- Select TLS from the Use secure connection radio buttons and click OK.
- Click OK to save your changes and exit the Account Settings dialog.
If you have any questions about connecting your computer to the wireless network or need help installing any applications, please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at extension 4357 or submit a Work Order Request and our staff will assist you as soon as possible.