The Cornell College Student Employment Program

Table of Contents:

Student Eligibility
Forms to Complete
Rate of Pay
Payroll Earning Statement
Developing Work Schedules
Termination of Employment
Resident Assistants
Office Phone Numbers/Hours
Questions & Answers
List of Supervisors
Summary of Responsibilities


The purpose of the Cornell College student employment program is to provide students an opportunity to earn money to assist with educational expenses. Cornell employs approximately 600 students during the academic year. These students are an important part of the Cornell College campus.


The student employment program is administered by the Office of Financial Assistance. The division head of each College department specifies a dollar amount for student employment for the academic year, based on departmental needs and available dollars. The department/office supervisor has the responsibility for seeing that the department/office does not exceed the budgeted amount. Returning students are responsible for securing their student employment positions, and entering students are assigned to specific departments/office by the Student Employment Coordinator. Specific responsibilities for the students, departments, and the Office of Financial Assistance are outlined at the end of this guide.

Student Eligibility

In most situations, students who work on campus must qualify for the Federal Student Employment Program, in which the federal government pays a portion of the student's wage. Federal Student Employment is a form of federal financial aid. In some special circumstances students who do not qualify for Federal Student Employment may be employed by the College with Cornell-funded employment dollars.

If a student has not submitted the necessary financial assistance forms to be awarded a financial assistance award, the student is not eligible to work.

All student employees that have their FAFSA selected for verification must have verification completed on their file by October 31. If verification is not complete by October 31, the student will not be able to continue to work.

Summary of Responsibilities:

Student Employment Supervisor:

Provide tasks and job responsibilities to student workers.

Discuss and set job and performance expectations.

Coordinate student employment schedules that will not conflict with class schedules.

Approve and submit electronic timecards Business Services by the outlined payroll deadlines.
Payroll deadlines are outlined on the following PDF:

Inform and document if a student is not fulfilling their responsibilities and warn of potential job dismissal.

It is extremely important to keep track of the student workers' hours so they do not exceed the awarded amount.

Monitor department/office budgets to avoid spending more than the budget allocation.

Office of Financial Assistance:

Award and or decline/increase student employment awards.

Keep a current file of job descriptions for all positions.

Confirm where student workers are assigned to work.

Insure federal regulations and institutional policies are followed.

Send a bi-weekly report to supervisors recording year-to-date earnings for each departmental worker.


Perform tasks assigned by the supervisor.

Personally contact your supervisor if you will be absent due to illness as early in the work day as possible. In addition, 48 hours notice must be given in advance when requesting a change in a work schedule or permission to take time off.

Continued tardiness or failure to notify your office whenever you cannot report for work can be sufficient grounds for termination.

Inform supervisor of any changes in long-term schedule

Keep your electronic time card up to date.

Complete W-4 and I-9 forms with Business Services before you may begin working.

Represent yourself and Cornell College in a professional manner and maintain the confidentiality of student and College records to which you may have access.

It is extremely important to acknowledge the shared responsibility between the Financial Assistance Office, the student, and the student employment supervisor to monitor a student's earnings. The student must stop working when the earnings limit is reached.

Remember, any dollars earned from working over the amount awarded on your financial assistance award letter without approval from the Student Employment Coordinator may be taken from your Cornell grant and/or student loans dollar for dollar.

Work Study Supervisors 2015-2016

Admission App Team Joey Crowley x4532
Admissions-Mail Team Sandy Jaeger X4172
Admissions-Main Office Jen Light x4175
Admissions-STARS (phone team) Joey Crowley x4532
Admission Tour Guides Kelsey Scholtens x4165
Admissions - Visit Team Jessica Corcoran x4161
Alumni Office Alysse Eggerbrecht X4304
Alumni Phone Team Alysse Eggerbrecht X4304
Art Christina Penn-Goetsch X4355
Berry Center Leon Tabak x4805
Biology Shea Putz X4155
Bon Appétit (Dining Services) Jennifer Howell x4420
Business Services Office Lisa Evans x4246
Campus Ministry Cathy Quehl-Engel x4402
Campus Recreation Jill Hopper x4113
Campus Safety and Security Mike Wilwol x4518
Career Engagement RJ Holmes-Leopold x4574
Chemistry Jana Klein X4370
Civic Engagement Mike Johnson x4538
College Advancement Alice Povey x4119
Commons Information Desk Carol Stock x4334
Computer Science Leon Tabak X4294
Content Tutor Ian Ely-Cate x4382
Counseling Services Lori Jeppson x4292
Dimensions Danielle D'Ambrosio x4136
Economics/Business A'amer Farroqi X4508
Education Jill Heinrich X4550
English Glenn Freeman X4329
Ethnic Studies Mary Olson X4359
Facilities Services Karen Clifton x4133
Financial Assistance Office Shannon Amundson x4216
General Athletics Dick Simmons x4270
Geology Rhawn Denniston X4302
Health Center Lori Jeppson x4292
History Catherine Stewart X4314
Human Resources Lindsey Hotz x4244
Information Technology Mike Plagge x4357
Information Technology - Office Support Jacque Morningstar x4357
Institutional Research Becki Elkins x4595
Intercultural Life Schvalla Rivera x4484
International and Off Campus Studies Kimberly Cullen x4385
Kinesiology Ellen Whale X4267


Lynne Ikach X4114
Latin American Studies Lynne Ikach X4300
Library Kristin Reimann x4201
Library - Academic Technology Studio Brook Bergantzel x4125
Mathematics Jim Freeman X4393
Music Cathy Schonhorst X4228
Office of Marketing and Communications Summer Gaasedelen x4231
Physics Lyle Lichty X4360
Politics Aparna Thomas X4300
Psychology Melinda Green X4313
Quantitative Reasoning Tutors Jessica Johanningmeier x4222
Registrar's Office Michelle Long x4234
Religion Steven Sacks X4237
Residence Life Judy Goetschius x4113
Service Center Becky Baxa x4115
Sociology/Anthropology Tori Barnes-Brus X4296
Sports Information Kerry Kahl x4483
Sports Medicine Assistants Eric Dybvig x4409
Student Activities Gwen Schimek x4103
Student Life Office Gwen Schimek x4103
Theatre/Communications Jim VanValen X4562
Women's Studies Aparna Thomas X4590
WEB Team Mike Plagge X4357
Writing Studio Laura Farmer X4509

Forms to Complete

All students who work for Cornell College must have current W-4 Forms (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate) and an I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification) on file in Business Services. Students are required to provide appropriate documentation when filing the I-9 form.  Students are also required to complete a Direct-Deposit Authorization Form.  All earnings are direct deposited to the student’s bank account; paychecks will not be issued.  If a student fails to provide the required documentation, he/she will be removed from the work schedule and not allowed to work until the documentation is completed. Here is a link to the required payroll forms:


All first year student workers will receive a student employment assignment in their campus mail box upon arrival to the college. Returning students will have this information e-mailed to them. This form states the eligible award for the academic year, the department/office where the student has been assigned, and the amount you will earn per hour. The standard student employment award is between $1000 and $2000.


Student workers will be scheduled to work approximately 4 - 10 hours per week.  All hours must be recorded in the student's electronic timecard and approved by the student's supervisor.  Domestic students should not schedule themselves to work more than 40 hours a week.  International students are eligible to work no more than 20 hours a week during periods of enrollment.  To avoid termination of your employment, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) laws MUST be complied with. 

All students should keep in mind, once you have earned your full work-study award, you must stop working immediately.  Please remember, any dollars earned from working over the amount awarded on your financial assistance award letter without approval from the Student Employment Coordinator may be taken from your Cornell grant and/or student loans dollar for dollar.

Federal regulations require verification if a student works during a scheduled class time. There is a form that must be completed by the professor, signed and dated with a copy to the student employment supervisor, the Office of Financial Assistance, and a copy attached to the student's timecard for Business Services. Student workers and the supervisors should monitor the hours worked in order to be in compliance with this regulation. You may print the form or contact the Office of Financial Assistance and request the form be sent to you..

Rate of Pay

Cornell College pays work-study students at the rate of $7.25 per hour. Any other wage paid to a student must be approved by the department's board member.


Students are required to complete and submit an electronic timesheet bi-weekly.  It is the responsibility of the student and the supervisor to submit the timesheet by the end of the day on Monday following payday, for the following payroll cycle.

Please see the following PDF document to review when hourly time cards are due (indicated in purple) and when paydays are (indicated in green).

 By approving the electronic time card, the supervisor is verifying that the student worked the documented hours.  

If a student falsifies a timecard information the Office of Financial Assistance is obligated to report this incident of fraud to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General. A federal investigation may result. Falsification of a time card will result in immediate dismissal from the work-study program. The student will not be eligible to work on campus the remainder of their time at Cornell.

Payroll Earning Statement
Students are able to view their work study earnings at


Developing Work Schedules

All students should be given the opportunity to work their employment awards in the department/office to which they are assigned. The student, together with the supervisor, should plan a work schedule that is compatible with his/her class schedule. Any request for time off, such as a week-end or a particular shift, must be approved in advance by the supervisor.

Termination of Employment

A student may be terminated from their student employment position if the student is not performing in a satisfactory manner. The supervisor should make clear to each student employee their performance and responsibility expectations.

The supervisor should discuss any performance problem with the student, document the conversation, and schedule a follow-up visit to assess improvement. If no improvement is shown, a written warning shall be given to the student with a copy sent to the Student Employment Coordinator. If there is no improvement after the second warning, the supervisor will recommend to the Office of Financial Assistance that the student's student employment award be removed from the award package and the student be dismissed from the position for the academic year.

Students who are terminated will not be re-assigned to a new student employment position during that academic year. If a student is able to find another position on campus the following year, the student may be re-assigned a student employment position. Any exception to this policy will be determined by the Student Employment Coordinator on a case by case basis.

International students must comply with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) laws.  International students will receive one written warning if the student works beyond 20 hours a week.  If there is a second occurance within the same academic year the student's employment will be immediately terminated for the remainder of the academic year. 

Immediate Dismissal: If the student has falsified records including timecards, divulged confidential information from the workplace, or is caught stealing, the student will immediately forfeit employment opportunities while at Cornell College.

If a student falsifies a timecard the Office of Financial Assistance is obligated to report this incident of fraud to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General. A federal investigation may result.

Resident Assistants

Resident assistants, who are eligible for federal work-study, may work an additional job on campus with approval from their direct supervisor in residence life.

Questions Concerning Campus Employment

If you have questions regarding the student employment program, please contact Renee Miceli, Student Employment Coordinator, at 319-895-4216 in the Office of Financial Assistance.

If you have questions regarding your paycheck/timecard, please contact Jodie Wittenburg, Payroll Coordinator, at 319-895-4593 in the Business Services Office or

Cornell College

Office of Financial Assistance

Located in Peter Paul Luce Admission Center, Second Floor

Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Phone: 319-895-4216

Fax: 319-895-4106

Questions & Answers for Students

Students often have questions relating to the student employment program. Listed below are some of the more common questions:

Q: When do I report to my student employment position?

A: You should report to your supervisor by  the first Monday of the first block and no later than Friday of the first week of classes.

Q: I was assigned a position for my first year at Cornell College. How will I know what my assignment will be for future years?

A: In March of each year, student employment supervisors are asked to submit to the Student Employment Coordinator a form to request students to work in their department/office for the upcoming academic year. In most cases, the supervisor will request returning students who have performed satisfactorily. This provides continuity for both the department/office and for the student. Many students will work in the same department/office during all four years at Cornell. Be sure to let your supervisor know if you are interested in returning to the same job.

If you wish to work in a different department/office for the following year, you should contact the appropriate supervisor during the month of February or March. If that supervisor has openings and agrees to the hire, he/she will include your name on the request form. (See previous paragraph). Please notify your current supervisor if you will not be returning to their department/office.

Q: Can I switch jobs during the year?

A: Yes.  If a student is offered another position on campus, they may switch to another job on campus.  The student should notify their current supervisor that they will no longer be working for them and the hiring supervisor should notify the financial assistance office that they have hired you to work in their office.

Q: What if I don't earn all of my awarded amount during the year?

A: Any unearned amount is forfeited. Amounts are not carried forward to future years. All student employment awards are what students are eligible to earn, they are not a guarantee of funds.

Q: When will I be paid?

A:  Payment will be biweekly by direct deposit. Please review the biweekly pay and deadline calendar for specific paydays (indicated in green).

Q: How do I decline or increase my student employment award?

A: If you wish to decline your student employment award you must notify your current supervisor and the Office of Financial Assistance.

If you wish to increase your student employment award you must have the supervisor approve the increase and the supervisor should notify the Student Employment Coordinator. All increases must be approved by the Office of Financial Assistance.

Q: Must I report my work study earnings on my federal income tax?

A: Yes. All earnings, including federal student employment dollars, must be included on your Federal Income Tax form if you file. You will receive a Form W-2 from Cornell College showing the amount of earnings during the previous calendar year.

Q: Must I report federal student employment earnings on my FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

A: Although you must include the amount of federal student employment earning in the adjusted gross income figure on the FAFSA, you will also show the amount of these earnings as a Title IV exclusion on the FAFSA. This means that the processor will exclude from the income the amount you earned in federal work-study, thereby reducing the amount of income considered in the eligibility formula. Any amount of Cornell-funded institutional work study does not qualify to be a Title IV exclusion.