Deadline & scheduling
After completing a Fine Arts Scholarship Application, you will need to complete an on-campus or recorded audition by March 1.
- Attend our Fine Art Music Scholarship Audition Day on Sunday, October 30, 2016.
- Schedule an on-campus audition. Auditions must be arranged at least two weeks in advance. You can schedule your audition by accessing the individual visit calendar. Click on the date you would like to audition to see if there are any auditions available. Feel free to contact our Visit Coordinator, Jess Corcoran, with any scheduling questions.
If you are not able to come to campus, you can submit a video recording of your audition and email the video or a link to YouTube or Vimeo to email@example.com before midnight on March 1. If you prefer to send an audio CD, DVD or flash drive version of your audition via regular mail, your package must be postmarked by March 1 and addressed to:
Cornell College Admission Office
Fine Arts Application
600 First Street SW
Mount Vernon, IA 52314
Music audition guidelines for all students
- Perform two works of contrasting style – please refer to the guidelines for your specific instrument.
- Keep all audition materials to approximately 7 minutes of total length.
- Be prepared to perform scales.
- Understand that sight-reading may be requested.
- The following must be sent to the admission office two weeks prior to your audition date:
- Piano accompaniment for selection(s) you will be doing with our accompanist.
- Sheet music for both selections you will be performing.
- Although you may use the same materials in your application for a fine arts scholarship and your application for admission, guidelines for the portfolio submissions may differ. Make sure to refer to the exact guidelines established by your department of interest as well as for admission.
Additional guidelines by instrument
We have compiled a number of additional music scholarship audition tips to help you prepare for a successful audition.